Freddy Garcia close to signing with a team in Asia

Apr 18, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT

Freddy Garcia Getty Getty Images

I was sorta surprised when the Braves cut Freddy Garcia, seeing as though they were down a couple of arms and Garcia had pitched pretty competently this spring. Then Aaron Harang took his place and has been pretty fantastic so far, so what the hell do I know?

And that question is doubly apt given that, apparently, the rest of Major League Baseball is giving a miss to Garcia. Chris Cotillo reports:

Veteran right-hander Freddy Garcia is close to signing with an undisclosed team in Asia, according to major league sources. It is currently unclear which country the 37-year old will be heading to, but it appears as though he will be leaving the U.S. after being released by the Braves at the end of spring training.

Garcia said that he wanted to start, so this may be the only opportunity he has to start someplace. Or the money may be great.

Or, though Garcia said after his release that he was eager to spend some time with his wife and newborn baby, maybe he realized a month later what all of us parents figured out the hard way: being around newborns is a special circle of hell and if someone gave us the opportunity to leave the continent for the few months between their birth and the time they’re sleeping through the night, well, we’d all take it too.

1. renaado - Apr 18, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Please oh please may it be the LG twins of South Korea, Riordan pitching performance alone can’t help them contend with their rivals Doosan Bears there… Well good news is that Josh Bell seems to found his power stroke smashing up 5 homeruns early in the regular season.

2. jwbiii - Apr 18, 2014 at 1:59 PM

I don’t see anything on YakyuBaka.com (Japan) or MyKBO.net (Korea). We shall see.

• renaado - Apr 18, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Yeah.. Well at least not yet, but I’m really hoping for him to sign with the LG Twins.

Here’s a site for you to watch some KBO games though if you’re interested, there are some full games of it but I’d rather watch the highlights in some of the games there instead.

• jwbiii - Apr 18, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Thanks!

• renaado - Apr 18, 2014 at 2:17 PM

No problem ;-) .

3. Old Gator - Apr 18, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Children are horrible.

4. metrocritical - Apr 18, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Honest assessment of the day:

“…being around newborns is a special circle of hell and if someone gave us the opportunity to leave the continent for the few months between their birth and the time they’re sleeping through the night, well, we’d all take it too…”.

Thank you, Craig. Clearly, your expertise and insights extend beyond the sphere of baseball.

5. jm91rs - Apr 18, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Maybe I got lucky but I wouldn’t give up my 16 month old daughters first few months for anything. I can remember every smile, every laugh and every first everything. Another one on the way in July and I can’t wait for all of those firsts either.

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 18, 2014 at 2:53 PM

My kids are 10 and 8 now. I still remember all the good stuff. Somehow I still have the vague memories of sleepless hell, but none of the specific ones. They wash out of your head. Likely for evolutionary purposes. Because if you remembered if vividly, you would never have a second kid.

• renaado - Apr 18, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Wow… Just simply amazing… Maybe 2 yrs from now, the time I graduate college, I still have yet to know how beautiful this is to have.

• happytwinsfan - Apr 18, 2014 at 4:13 PM

and by the time they become teenagers there ain’t no backing out. you ain’t seen nothing yet.

• renaado - Apr 18, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Truly a sad truth, but still it’s an experience any parent should or would have whether we like it or not. Well I’m sure many parents would understand that cause it’s a part of em growing up.

• happytwinsfan - Apr 18, 2014 at 4:44 PM

renaado
        it’s not a sad truth, it’s a funny one. you’ll understand in about 20 years.

and from the looks of your posts, i suspect your parents have had it a lot better then most.

• renaado - Apr 18, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Yeah… Thanks happytwinsfan, but I haven’t got any of those, I only got a little knowledge of it because of aresachaela’s dad.

• happytwinsfan - Apr 18, 2014 at 5:25 PM

you just put all my problems in perspective. have an outstanding rest of the day young fella.

• renaado - Apr 18, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Thanks, I always keep that in mind ;-) . Greeting you guys here a pleasant morning in the Far East.

6. aziceman - Apr 18, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Why are the DBacks not looking at him?

7. rodcky - Apr 18, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Garcia is going to pitch in Chinese Professional Baseball League in Taiwan. He will join EDA Rhinos, which signed Manny Ramirez last year. Armando Galarraga is also going to pitch in CPBL. He will pitch for another team, Brothers Elephant.

8. zdravit - Apr 19, 2014 at 4:33 PM

A team in Asia. Could they at least nail down the league before leaking this sh!t?

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3109)