Apr 18, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
MLB.com’s Brittany Ghiroli reports that Orioles third baseman Manny Machado could begin a rehab assignment next week. And Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun writes that Machado will play third base in an extended spring training game on Saturday. It’s great news for the Orioles, who have been without their star third baseman but may soon see his return as soon as early May.
In recent days, Machado has batted in simulated games, done wind sprints, and ran the bases — all necessary steps for Machado, who ruptured his left medial patellofemoral ligament last September.
In Machado’s absence, the Orioles have relied on 22-year-old prospect Jonathan Schoop at third base. Schoop, however, has struggled at the dish, entering Friday night’s action with a .244/.244/.415 line. Ryan Flaherty has also started a few games at the hot corner, but has produced a paltry .469 OPS.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday evening MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 118
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 30
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 35
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (124)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)