Apr 18, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT
Update: Per the Pirates official Twitter, the Mets have received right-handed pitcher Zack Thornton and a player to be named later. Thornton, 25, was promoted to Triple-A Indianapolis for the first time last season. There he finished with a 3.91 ERA in 25 1/3 innings, along with 31 strikeouts and four walks. To begin 2014, Thornton has a 1.23 ERA with eight strikeouts and one walk in 7 1/3 innings.
The Mets had a surplus at first base with Davis along with Lucas Duda and Josh Satin. Now that Davis is gone, Duda and Satin will split the time at first base depending on the handedness of the opposing starting pitcher. The Pirates were in need of a first baseman as they had been relying on Travis Ishikawa and Gaby Sanchez. Davis will displace Ishikawa, who has not been hitting well, and share time with the right-handed-hitting Sanchez, who has been performing well.
Davis made headlines last season after he started the year off so poorly that the Mets demoted him to Triple-A Las Vegas. Working with manager Wally Backman, Davis made some adjustments and came back much more productive, though his power didn’t come back the way they had hoped. Davis is carrying a .742 OPS as he joins the Pirates.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 21
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 120
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (130)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (119)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)