Apr 18, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT
Update: Per the Pirates official Twitter, the Mets have received right-handed pitcher Zack Thornton and a player to be named later. Thornton, 25, was promoted to Triple-A Indianapolis for the first time last season. There he finished with a 3.91 ERA in 25 1/3 innings, along with 31 strikeouts and four walks. To begin 2014, Thornton has a 1.23 ERA with eight strikeouts and one walk in 7 1/3 innings.
The Mets had a surplus at first base with Davis along with Lucas Duda and Josh Satin. Now that Davis is gone, Duda and Satin will split the time at first base depending on the handedness of the opposing starting pitcher. The Pirates were in need of a first baseman as they had been relying on Travis Ishikawa and Gaby Sanchez. Davis will displace Ishikawa, who has not been hitting well, and share time with the right-handed-hitting Sanchez, who has been performing well.
Davis made headlines last season after he started the year off so poorly that the Mets demoted him to Triple-A Las Vegas. Working with manager Wally Backman, Davis made some adjustments and came back much more productive, though his power didn’t come back the way they had hoped. Davis is carrying a .742 OPS as he joins the Pirates.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)