Apr 18, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
The Red Sox have designated infielder Ryan Roberts for assignment and called up Brock Holt from Triple-A Pawtucket, WEEI’s Alex Speier reports. The Red Sox signed Roberts to a one-year deal on April 7 after Will Middlebrooks suffered a calf injury, but Roberts wasn’t very helpful, scratching out only two hits (both singles) in 22 trips to the plate.
Holt has been hitting well at Triple-A to start the season, which is why the Red Sox feel confident in bringing him up. He is currently the owner of a .380/.446/.600 line in 56 plate appearances.
Middlebrooks is expected to begin a rehab assignment next week, according to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal. That would set Middlebrooks up for a return towards the end of April, so Holt will get a week or so of starts in before he’s pushed aside.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 36
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 40
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)