Apr 18, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
The Red Sox have designated infielder Ryan Roberts for assignment and called up Brock Holt from Triple-A Pawtucket, WEEI’s Alex Speier reports. The Red Sox signed Roberts to a one-year deal on April 7 after Will Middlebrooks suffered a calf injury, but Roberts wasn’t very helpful, scratching out only two hits (both singles) in 22 trips to the plate.
Holt has been hitting well at Triple-A to start the season, which is why the Red Sox feel confident in bringing him up. He is currently the owner of a .380/.446/.600 line in 56 plate appearances.
Middlebrooks is expected to begin a rehab assignment next week, according to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal. That would set Middlebrooks up for a return towards the end of April, so Holt will get a week or so of starts in before he’s pushed aside.
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 7
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)