Apr 18, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
The Red Sox have designated infielder Ryan Roberts for assignment and called up Brock Holt from Triple-A Pawtucket, WEEI’s Alex Speier reports. The Red Sox signed Roberts to a one-year deal on April 7 after Will Middlebrooks suffered a calf injury, but Roberts wasn’t very helpful, scratching out only two hits (both singles) in 22 trips to the plate.
Holt has been hitting well at Triple-A to start the season, which is why the Red Sox feel confident in bringing him up. He is currently the owner of a .380/.446/.600 line in 56 plate appearances.
Middlebrooks is expected to begin a rehab assignment next week, according to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal. That would set Middlebrooks up for a return towards the end of April, so Holt will get a week or so of starts in before he’s pushed aside.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 6
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 76
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)