Apr 18, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
The Red Sox have designated infielder Ryan Roberts for assignment and called up Brock Holt from Triple-A Pawtucket, WEEI’s Alex Speier reports. The Red Sox signed Roberts to a one-year deal on April 7 after Will Middlebrooks suffered a calf injury, but Roberts wasn’t very helpful, scratching out only two hits (both singles) in 22 trips to the plate.
Holt has been hitting well at Triple-A to start the season, which is why the Red Sox feel confident in bringing him up. He is currently the owner of a .380/.446/.600 line in 56 plate appearances.
Middlebrooks is expected to begin a rehab assignment next week, according to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal. That would set Middlebrooks up for a return towards the end of April, so Holt will get a week or so of starts in before he’s pushed aside.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)