Apr 18, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT
A guy named AJ Mass wore the Mr. Met costume at Shea Stadium from 1994-97. He just wrote a memoir called “Yes, It’s Hot in Here — Adventures in the Weird, Wooly World of Sports Mascots.” In it, he reveals that in 1997, President Clinton visited Shea. Mass wanted to meet him, but the secret service was concerned about security because, let’s face it, you can put anything in a giant baseball head.
And they warned him:
“We have snipers all around the stadium, just in case something were to happen,” the agent warned. “Like I said, do whatever it is you normally do. But approach the President, and we go for the kill shot. Are we clear?”
Nah, thats not extreme. Not extreme at all.
As the Daily News story recounting this shows, however, Mr. Met did finally get his chance to get close to Bill, but it was (a) several years after he left office; and (b) a different dude wearing the Mr. Met getup. So sad.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 39
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)