Apr 18, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT
A guy named AJ Mass wore the Mr. Met costume at Shea Stadium from 1994-97. He just wrote a memoir called “Yes, It’s Hot in Here — Adventures in the Weird, Wooly World of Sports Mascots.” In it, he reveals that in 1997, President Clinton visited Shea. Mass wanted to meet him, but the secret service was concerned about security because, let’s face it, you can put anything in a giant baseball head.
And they warned him:
“We have snipers all around the stadium, just in case something were to happen,” the agent warned. “Like I said, do whatever it is you normally do. But approach the President, and we go for the kill shot. Are we clear?”
Nah, thats not extreme. Not extreme at all.
As the Daily News story recounting this shows, however, Mr. Met did finally get his chance to get close to Bill, but it was (a) several years after he left office; and (b) a different dude wearing the Mr. Met getup. So sad.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 141
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (143)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)