Apr 18, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
On Thursday, the White Sox had designated reliever Donnie Veal for assignment. Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Sox placed him on outright waivers, so he will clear waivers or be claimed within the next 24 hours.
Veal had a particularly ugly outing for the White Sox last Saturday, allowing four runs over 1 2/3 innings against the Indians, the second consecutive appearance in which he had allowed at least a run. He’s had control issues, walking seven and striking out six over six innings. Control problems plagued Veal even last season, when he issued 15 of them unintentionally over 29 1/3 innings.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)