Apr 19, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Well, this is interesting.
When Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper left this afternoon’s game against the Cardinals after six innings, many assumed that he might have aggravated his recent left quad injury. Nope, it was actually because he didn’t run out a ground ball.
It should be said that the play in question was a simple comebacker to the pitcher, so there’s no way he would have been safe even if he busted it up the line. And for a guy who is coming back from a quad injury, there was little reason to needlessly push it on such a routine play. This might even be the safe way to go about things for someone who has been called too aggressive in the past. Alas, Williams thought otherwise.
For what it’s worth, Harper told Andrew Simon of MLB.com after the game that he “respected” what Williams did. But what else is he supposed to say?
Harper’s spot in the order actually came up in the bottom of the ninth inning against Cardinals closer Trevor Rosenthal, but the Nationals were forced to use Kevin Frandsen with the tying runs on second and third base. Frandsen drove in a run with a ground out, but one wonders how things would have turned out if Williams didn’t have such a quick hook. It might have cost them a chance at a victory.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 6
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 35
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 44
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)