Apr 19, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Well, this is interesting.
When Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper left this afternoon’s game against the Cardinals after six innings, many assumed that he might have aggravated his recent left quad injury. Nope, it was actually because he didn’t run out a ground ball.
It should be said that the play in question was a simple comebacker to the pitcher, so there’s no way he would have been safe even if he busted it up the line. And for a guy who is coming back from a quad injury, there was little reason to needlessly push it on such a routine play. This might even be the safe way to go about things for someone who has been called too aggressive in the past. Alas, Williams thought otherwise.
For what it’s worth, Harper told Andrew Simon of MLB.com after the game that he “respected” what Williams did. But what else is he supposed to say?
Harper’s spot in the order actually came up in the bottom of the ninth inning against Cardinals closer Trevor Rosenthal, but the Nationals were forced to use Kevin Frandsen with the tying runs on second and third base. Frandsen drove in a run with a ground out, but one wonders how things would have turned out if Williams didn’t have such a quick hook. It might have cost them a chance at a victory.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 17
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)