Apr 19, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
Machado, who underwent surgery in October to repair a medial patellofemoral ligament in his left knee, played five innings at third base and received four at-bats. He’s scheduled to take the day off tomorrow, but will play seven innings at third base on Monday before serving as the designated hitter on Tuesday. Orioles manager Buck Showalter is hopeful that he’ll be able to begin an official minor league rehab assignment at some point next week, setting up a potential return in early May.
Machado, 21, owns a .279/.309/.435 over his first 207 games in the majors. He won a Gold Glove last season for his exemplary defense at third base. The Orioles have relied on a combination of Jonathan Schoop, Ryan Flaherty, and Steve Lombardozzi at the hot corner so far this year. It goes without saying, but he’s a big upgrade. And we likely haven’t seen the best of him yet from an offensive perspective.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 201
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (206)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)