Mike Trout did something for the first time on Saturday

Apr 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

Mike Trout Mike Trout

Mike Trout has achieved a lot for someone who has had only two full seasons in the Major Leagues. He’s led the league in runs twice, and led once each in stolen bases and walks while lapping his competition in terms of WAR. But on Saturday afternoon against the Tigers, Trout achieved something he had never done in 352 career games.

He struck out four times, earning the golden sombrero. Tigers starter Max Scherzer struck out Trout three times and closer Joe Nathan notched the fourth in the top of the ninth. Entering the afternoon, Trout had struck out thrice in a single game 15 times, accounting for a paltry 4.3 percent of his games played.

Tigers manager Brad Ausmus isn’t going to get excited about it:

With the 0-for-4 performance, Trout lost his AL lead in OPS, sliding behind Alexei Ramirez, 1.044 to 1.019. Trout, however, still leads the league in slugging percentage, .639 to Ramirez’s .621.

1. doctorofsmuganomics - Apr 19, 2014 at 6:55 PM

so the mighty fish isn’t infallible after all.

you’d never guess the way some people ride his jock.

• yahmule - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:55 PM

No matter who the best player in baseball has been at any given time, he has never been infallible. I’m gonna keep my charter seat on his jock and keep enjoying the ride.

• andrewproughcfe - Apr 19, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Gets the big money, eats a humongous steak, and just like that his career is down the toilet. Story old as time.

• dcarroll73 - Apr 20, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Please come back to give your ‘mea culpa’ the day he hits 4 HRs (if you need a translation, I work at reasonable rates.)

• albertfan - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I’m a Cali girl. Great weather. I live in Orange County and I am an Angel fan. Look me up;my season tickets are four rows up from the Angel dugout-middle right of dugout.
      Anyway, look at Mike’s numbers so far.
      He is the real deal.

I think you all who don’t live my lifestyle and live in 110 degree heat in the summer can not stand it and so you rank of Mike Trout.

There are have and have nots. You are the same guys who dare say the name of Bryce Harper when you mention Trout. Trout is the best player in baseball. Pretty handsome too. Ain’t his fault.

• doctorofsmuganomics - Apr 21, 2014 at 8:41 PM

2. psunick - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:24 PM

But that’s okay. I’m sure Trout still leads in WAR

3. greymares - Apr 19, 2014 at 8:39 PM

He didn’t get to run but if he did he would’ve hustled. lol.

4. georgewashingtonsghost - Apr 19, 2014 at 8:55 PM

This just in–Max Scherzer is a petty good pitcher.

5. historiophiliac - Apr 19, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Probably not coincidentally, I wore my startled tiger retro tee today.

6. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 19, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Ausmus is spot-on. To finish his thought, chances are Trout is gonna get you more often than you get him.

7. onbucky96 - Apr 20, 2014 at 2:30 AM

Trout is clearly washed up. Angels, we’ll send you Yovani for Trout and a few prospects. Signed Doug Melvin & The Milwaukee Brewers.

8. peymax1693 - Apr 20, 2014 at 9:54 AM

We should start taking bets on when the inevitable “Mike Trout is overrated” backlash begins in earnest. We all know it’s coming.

9. clezott - Apr 20, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Somewhere Jeff Passan is crying.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3341)