Apr 19, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
The Reds announced this morning that left-handed reliever Sean Marshall has been activated from the 15-day disabled list. Curtis Partch, a right-handed reliever, was optioned down to Triple-A Louisville in a corresponding roster move.
Marshall was limited to just 17 appearances last season due to shoulder problems and had more issues during spring training. However, the 31-year-old has made steady progress since, including a pair of minor league rehab appearances with Triple-A Louisville.
Marshall has been one of the game’s best relievers when healthy in recent seasons, posting a 2.44 ERA in 247 appearances since 2010. He’ll likely pitch in a set-up capacity for the Reds, but Bryan Price could give him some save chances along with Jonathan Broxton until Aroldis Chapman is ready to return from the disabled list.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 0
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 278
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (279)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)