Apr 19, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT
The Reds announced this morning that left-handed reliever Sean Marshall has been activated from the 15-day disabled list. Curtis Partch, a right-handed reliever, was optioned down to Triple-A Louisville in a corresponding roster move.
Marshall was limited to just 17 appearances last season due to shoulder problems and had more issues during spring training. However, the 31-year-old has made steady progress since, including a pair of minor league rehab appearances with Triple-A Louisville.
Marshall has been one of the game’s best relievers when healthy in recent seasons, posting a 2.44 ERA in 247 appearances since 2010. He’ll likely pitch in a set-up capacity for the Reds, but Bryan Price could give him some save chances along with Jonathan Broxton until Aroldis Chapman is ready to return from the disabled list.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (187)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)