Scary photo: Delino DeShields Jr. suffers fractured cheek bone after taking pitch to face

Apr 19, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

This is pretty unbelievable.

Astros prospect Delino DeShields, Jr. was hit in the face by a fastball last night while playing with Double-A Corpus Christi. He was taken to a hospital, where Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reports that he was diagnosed with a fractured cheek bone. Double-A Corpus Christi manager Keith Bodie said it’s going to be a “very uncomfortable road back.”

DeShields took a picture of his injury and sent it to a friend, who decided to share it with the world on Twitter. I’m warning you, this is pretty scary-looking:

There’s another one from his sister here, which might be even scarier. Feel free to check it out if you want.

DeShields, 21, hit .317/.405/.468 with five home runs, 54 RBI, and 51 stolen bases over 111 games last season with High-A Lancaster. Baseball America ranked him as Houston’s No. 13 prospect over the winter. You might remember his dad, who had a 13-year career in the major leagues.

Here’s hoping DeShields gets back to normal soon.

1. dondada10 - Apr 19, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Yikes that sucks.

On a positive note, if a guy with those numbers is ranked 13th in the system it must be a stacked system.

2. tfbuckfutter - Apr 19, 2014 at 12:40 PM

That looks incredibly painful.

But I’ll take that any day over the hockey player that got hit in the mouth.

• esracerx46 - Apr 19, 2014 at 3:15 PM

The hockey player (Ryan Getzlaf) thought he was going to meet his wife at the hospital for the birth of their child. She had it the next day. No broken bones, just missing teeth and stitches. And he played last night, the next game after the incident.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 19, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Mmm…not the one I’m talking about.

photo/1

Mitch Callahan from a couple weeks ago.

• strictlythedanks - Apr 19, 2014 at 4:38 PM

thats why hockey is mans sport, toughest mofos in the world.

3. nicofthenorthstar - Apr 19, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I don’t know what’s worse the face or that tat. At least one will heal.

4. beavertonsteve - Apr 19, 2014 at 3:11 PM

I am just waiting for the day he is traded for Pedro E Martinez.

5. zdravit - Apr 19, 2014 at 4:20 PM

All the chipmunks are jelly.

6. cohnjusack - Apr 19, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Oh my god, there is a Delino Deshields Jr in professional baseball?

I suddenly feel very, very old.

7. janessa31888 - Apr 19, 2014 at 8:05 PM

I could handle the broken cheekbone picture, but that picture of the hockey player will give me nightmares. /turns pale and shudders. Hopefully they heal completely.

8. ch0psuey - Apr 20, 2014 at 1:07 AM

That’s nuts. Wish the best in his recovery. I’m sure I have at least 10-15 baseball cards of delino deshields sr. Probably mostly topps…

9. birdsonbat - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Of those 2 pics….one is swelled on the left side and the other the right…are these fake?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3673)