Apr 20, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
The benches were emptied on Sunday afternoon during the Brewers-Pirates series. Brewers outfielder Carlos Gomez hit a 400-foot triple off of Pirates starter Gerrit Cole, and he admired it while slowly making his way to first base. When he noticed the ball was not, in fact, going to leave the ballpark, Gomez turned on the afterburners and scurried to third base. Cole barked at Gomez, and Gomez didn’t take too kindly to it. A fracas ensued.
It’s not the first nor the last time that we will see pitchers being sensitive to hitters acting cocky after crushing one of their mistake pitches. Likewise, we’ll continue seeing players defending their honor when called out.
Former Baseball Police Braves third baseman Chipper Jones, also a former teammate of Baseball Police Chief Brian McCann (a participant in last year’s incident with Gomez), decided to chime in on the matter on Twitter:
Enjoy ur upcoming suspension hotdog!
— Chipper Jones (@RealCJ10) April 20, 2014
Someone responded to Jones, suggesting that Jones himself has admired his own baseball work.
So, remember kids, if you want to stare, don’t misjudge a 400-foot fly ball by a couple of inches. That’s just rude.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (89)