Apr 20, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
The benches were emptied on Sunday afternoon during the Brewers-Pirates series. Brewers outfielder Carlos Gomez hit a 400-foot triple off of Pirates starter Gerrit Cole, and he admired it while slowly making his way to first base. When he noticed the ball was not, in fact, going to leave the ballpark, Gomez turned on the afterburners and scurried to third base. Cole barked at Gomez, and Gomez didn’t take too kindly to it. A fracas ensued.
It’s not the first nor the last time that we will see pitchers being sensitive to hitters acting cocky after crushing one of their mistake pitches. Likewise, we’ll continue seeing players defending their honor when called out.
Former Baseball Police Braves third baseman Chipper Jones, also a former teammate of Baseball Police Chief Brian McCann (a participant in last year’s incident with Gomez), decided to chime in on the matter on Twitter:
Enjoy ur upcoming suspension hotdog!
— Chipper Jones (@RealCJ10) April 20, 2014
Someone responded to Jones, suggesting that Jones himself has admired his own baseball work.
So, remember kids, if you want to stare, don’t misjudge a 400-foot fly ball by a couple of inches. That’s just rude.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)