Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident

Apr 20, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

The benches were emptied on Sunday afternoon during the Brewers-Pirates series. Brewers outfielder Carlos Gomez hit a 400-foot triple off of Pirates starter Gerrit Cole, and he admired it while slowly making his way to first base. When he noticed the ball was not, in fact, going to leave the ballpark, Gomez turned on the afterburners and scurried to third base. Cole barked at Gomez, and Gomez didn’t take too kindly to it. A fracas ensued.

It’s not the first nor the last time that we will see pitchers being sensitive to hitters acting cocky after crushing one of their mistake pitches. Likewise, we’ll continue seeing players defending their honor when called out.

Former Baseball Police Braves third baseman Chipper Jones, also a former teammate of Baseball Police Chief Brian McCann (a participant in last year’s incident with Gomez), decided to chime in on the matter on Twitter:

Someone responded to Jones, suggesting that Jones himself has admired his own baseball work.

So, remember kids, if you want to stare, don’t misjudge a 400-foot fly ball by a couple of inches. That’s just rude.

111 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. commonsenseisnotcmonman - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Couldn’t be Chipper, he’s too busy starting fires to comment.

• tbird05 - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Good to know we are done with the predictable Hooters comments. Now…another 20 years and he can live down the fire incident.

• yahmule - Apr 21, 2014 at 9:55 AM

I predict he accidentally kills himself first.

• sportsfan18 - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:54 PM

He was a BALL PLAYER… not a state leader. He ENTERTAINED us…

He wasn’t, isn’t and does not need to be a scholar and a statesman…

There have been and are MANY pro players who have done MUCH worse…

He’s human… YOU and I and the rest of us have made mistakes too…

You’re holding him to a standard you couldn’t maintain…

2. tbird05 - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Why is it that Gomez must grunt every time he uses the barrel of the bat?

3. Joseph Garcia - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Gomez didn’t really pimp it, ok maybe a little, as he started jogging as soon as the ball was hit. He didn’t just stand there and stare at it. Cole was being a little ridiculous. I’m not for either of these teams but this is one of the more stupid reasons that a fight broke out around.

• pittsburghmohawk - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Yes he did. He stood their like it left the park.

• baberuthslegs - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:11 PM

And did the bat flip before that.

• Joseph Garcia - Apr 21, 2014 at 12:36 AM

watch the video again he starts jogging the moment he hits it and flips bat.

• Glenn - Apr 20, 2014 at 8:35 PM

What’s Cole crying about? Gomez not hustling hurts Gomez and his team, It helps Cole.

• jayquintana - Apr 20, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Great point! Reverse psychology maybe?

• sportsfan18 - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:57 PM

gotta whine and cry… it’s all baseball allows now as the pitchers CAN’T throw at batters anymore…

well they can and they usually get tossed from the game.

in the old days, Cole would NOT have said anything to Gomez… he would have drilled him with a pitch the next time he came up and it would have been over.

heck, in the old days, teammates of Gomez would have gotten on HIS case for doing what he did… long before he came to bat again and got hit…

4. huskerguy - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:16 PM

The only thing that matters at the end of it? Brewers won.

5. musketmaniac - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Shut the f..k up chippy you over rated hack

• tbird05 - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Overrated? I understand why some people get annoyed/don’t like chipper, but overrated isn’t one of them.

• thebadguyswon - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:58 PM

LOL….yeah. Not many future Hall of Famers are overrated.

• sportsfan18 - Apr 21, 2014 at 4:05 PM

I’d say he’s a cut above regular HOF’s as what he’s done has ONLY been done by a few select elite players in the history of the game…

Very FEW HOF’s have done what he has…

To wit:

Chipper is one of ONLY 7 ballplayers all time to amass 10,000 or more at bats and have a career .300 or higher batting average, a .400 or higher on base percentage and a .500 or higher slugging percentage…

The longer one plays the game obviously the harder it is to maintain that level of success and to still maintain career averages at these levels after 10,000 plus at bats is amazing.

Here are the ONLY 7 players to do this (well 6 other than Chipper).

Babe Ruth
        Ty Cobb
        Stan Musial
        Tris Speaker
        Mel Ott
        Frank Thomas

and now Chipper Jones.

7 out of thousands and thousands to play in the big leagues…

Heck, very few HOF players have done this…

Elite… and he was a switch hitter who maintained all those averages when obviously he had to hit many times on the side that he was natural at hitting from…

6. musketmaniac - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:27 PM

your opinion is noted, but nobody here gives a rats ass about your opinion. Chippy is an overrated douche bag. That is my opinion. Did I speak clearly enough for you.

• tbird05 - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Yes, your typing ability is clear enough. However, your brain function leaves a lot to be desired.

• sportsfan18 - Apr 21, 2014 at 4:10 PM

FAR from overrated when he is ONLY 1 of 7 players all time to amass 10,000 plus at bats and retire with a career average of .300 or higher, a .400 on base percentage or higher and a .500 slugging percentage or higher…

Only 6 other players besides Chipper have ever done this in the history of the game. Kinda difficult to call that overrated…

That’s elite of the elite. Only a small percentage of the HOF players have done that.

Overrated?

How? Please let us know… Fine you have your opinion. WHAT is your opinion BASED on?

7. unclemosesgreen - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Pure speed-envy at work here, Larry would have barely legged out a double on that hit.

• pittsburghmohawk - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:02 PM

No, he would have been running from the start. However, if Gomez didn’t hotdog it, he may have had an inside the park HR.

• djpostl - Apr 20, 2014 at 8:58 PM

And if it was the last half decade of his career he would pulled a grain, hamstring and torn an achilles all on the same play.

• djpostl - Apr 20, 2014 at 8:59 PM

groin*

damn autocorrect I swear it’s the beta version of Skynet and its entire mission is to troll us all

8. roanboon - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Cole was angry because the opponent did something to hurt the other team’s chance of winning? If I were a pitcher I would WANT the opposing batter to celebrate a home run prematurely, as it gives my team a better chance of throwing him out or reaching a lesser base.

• tbird05 - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:53 PM

You are probably right…the only thing I wish he had done differently is point and laugh at him once he got to third base. Would have been much more amusing than a shouting match that led to someone else getting punched in the face.

• ninevegetable - Apr 20, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Cole should bean him the next time he bats against him.

9. jerze2387 - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Is he old enough yet where we can stop calling him “chipper” and start calling him Larry?

• tbird05 - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Only if you are a Mets fan. They kinda have that covered.

10. faccda01 - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Craig is probably going to get mad at this.

• tbird05 - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:48 PM

You are correct. I smell a “Why does baseball need police” or “Why can’t old white men accept the new-age baseball behavior” article in short order. ETA…30 minutes.

11. padraighansen - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:45 PM

I love how Larry The Unfaithful feels the need to offer his unsolicited opinions on someone else’s behavior.

• tbird05 - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Damnit…and I thought we were done with the Hooters comments. Guess not.

• jerze2387 - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:45 PM

dont do the crime if you cant handle when people chime (ypu know, like he likes to do0

12. roundballsquarebox24 - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Sorry for this long post, only read this if you care, but I think that the abundance of these brawls and hard feelings about things like this is a huge cultural clash. I am not saying that Gomez is excused for what he did because of his culture. He had absolutely no excuse to take off his helmet and throw it. For that I think that he deserved to get ejected. But, the way that Gomez plays is just the way that baseball is played in the Caribbean. I am a lifelong baseball lover, and having moved to the United States from the Dominican Republic at age 15, I now love and appreciate the two very different styles of baseball. When I moved here 27 years ago I tried out and easily got onto my high school baseball team. I was a shortstop back on the island since the age of 5. Back home, the only way that I knew how to play the game was all-out. I had never heard the term “act like you’ve been there”, but if I had to say something about that it would have been more like “act like this is your first and last time here”. I soon realized that everything I did, that came naturally to me, was wrong, and unintentionally hurting somebody’s feelings or getting somebody angry. I can’t flip my bat on a double? Back home it was different. We would flip our bats on a single that barely got past the diving shortstop! Sometimes he would get up and point at you, and shout something like “Yeah? Hit it over here again, I dare you!”, then a grin would show up on his face. No hard feelings, we’re playing the game. Eventually, I started to understand the concept of baseball in the United States, and I really began to respect and admire it. A gentleman’s game. Played with class and a sense of respect towards your opposition. Baseball as I knew it was hard, aggressive, similar to Soccer in Brazil. If you take me down swinging looking like a fool, you pump your fist and give me a look that says “Yeah, I got you, go sit down”. It’s okay. When I get you (homer or not, when you made a mistake and I capitalized), I flip the bat and watch my handiwork, then I look at you with a look that says “Yeah!, what now?”. It was cool! After the game we would laugh about it. But then I understood the American concept, and tried my best to do it right. But it seemed like every game, I would do something that I found out was also frowned upon. I can’t steal a bag with a big lead late in the game? I can’t bunt either? I eventually learned all of the ins and outs of how it’s done here. But I was never able to implement it 100%. Any time I was in an adrenaline-driven moment, I did something that I “shouldn’t” have done here, but would be applauded in my earlier playing days. So the point of this long post is to kind of show how one can feel when you are playing a completely different game than what you have known. Baseball is baseball but the way that the game is executed is certainly different. Even the way that you field a ground ball has more “flash”. This was high school; I could not imagine what some of these guys feel in the Big Leagues. Watching the Dominican team in the WBC last year drew tears from my father and I. The way they were playing! These guys try very hard to do it right in the MLB clubs, but in the WBC they said “no, we’re playing for our country and we’re doing it our way here! so Yeah, we’re flipping bats and jumping out of the dugout!”

• missingdiz - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Thank you. That was very interesting.

• roundballsquarebox24 - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:57 PM

I am glad that my thoughts can reach at least one person and give them some insight about this. I think that the perfect example of this was a few weeks ago, Jose Fernandez was in the middle of a gem, and Carlos Gonzalez hits a bomb, and stares at it for a LONG time, way longer than gomez did. And then, this happened. http://deadspin.com/a-lesson-from-carlos-gonzalez-and-jose-fernandez-baseb-1556059658

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Great comment – thank you for taking some time to pass along your personal experience.

I personally enjoy watching players who look like they’re having fun playing a kids’ game. To everyone who’s chuffed about Gomez flipping his bat on a triple – “Why so serious?”

• roundballsquarebox24 - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:07 PM

The thumbs down are expected. It is understandable for people to believe that there is a right way and a wrong way to play the game, instead of these things being subjective and not objective. It’s okay, though. Thank you for reading this regardless of how you feel.

• tinman67tn - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM

You can’t compare the Cargo HR off of Fernandez to this. Cargo has no history of being a douche and has something else that Gomez does not……….More than one ALL STAR season to his credit. In the 2013 game against the Braves, Gomez was giving Maholm the crazy eyes as he walked from the on deck circle. He hit his HR and had something to say to EVERY Braves player that he passed. He was still that crazy over something that happened 4 months earlier when Gomez THOUGHT Maholm had hit him on purpose……..with an 82 MPH curve to the leg.

• djpostl - Apr 20, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Holy wall of text Batman!

Some good observations, though I think they have pretty much been covered from all angles.

Can’t say I fully buy into the “it’s cultural” argument for showboating/bat flipping/admiring, but it’s not an outlandish argument to make and I understand its relevance.

In the end, the players will police it up one way or the other and I am fine with that.

• Reflex - Apr 20, 2014 at 10:00 PM

I greatly appreciate your post. In general I agree with it, although in this case I’d add that to some degree the Brewers have a team culture of this as well, Prince used to choreograph this stuff with his teammates (remember the bowling pins?). I never understood the outrage, it was all in good fun and it was a blast to watch. I draw the line at directly insulting other players, I think that is inexcusable. But hitting a baseball at the major league level is one of the toughest things to do in professional sports, and I certainly could not claim that I’d never stare at my own moonshot, were I capable of hitting one.

• tinman67tn - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:16 PM

First off, he is now playing in the MLB. This is not the Caribbean or the DR. There are MANY other players, with the same backgrounds, who do NOT have the problems that Gomez has. Gomez is in his 8th season and he should be adjusted. It is not MLB’s job to change to suit players from other countries. They choose to come and play here. The jawing that you write about happens a lot from little league to the Majors. The problem with Gomez is that he has no self control. He goes from zero to crazy eyes in less that two seconds. If he doesn’t get a handle on his anger, he will draw the ire of his teammates, his organization and finally the league and he will find himself back in the DR playing ball the way he likes to.

• tinman67tn - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:28 PM

You speak of there being no hard feelings in the DR leagues. Everyone jaws and has fun and that might be why Gomez might be being judged harshly. Do some research and find out that it was Gomez who held a grudge against Maholm, from a game 3 months prior and that is what lead to his going crazy in that game…….so much for cultural clash. Gomez has anger issues…….end of story. Lastly, flipping the bat, jawing and acting arrogangt, is NOT the definition of playing all out.

• roundballsquarebox24 - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:11 PM

I tend to refrain from replying to comments that contain something along the lines of “end of story”. Nothing is ever that simple or clear-cut. Carlos Gomez has a lot of fault for what went on yesterday, yes. He physically went beyond where he needed to go. But I am not talking specifically about Carlos Gomez. My comment was about the style of play brought to the table by Caribbean players in general. First, I will address your first comment. You say that they just need to adjust and play the game right because MLB doesn’t need to change to suit people from other countries. This was the case for many, many years, my friend. This is merely my opinion but from many years of watching Dominicans in the MLB I have seen the evolution. Many of the ballplayers who are my age and older don’t or didn’t show this excuberance in the MLB. For years they felt like they didn’t belong here, this wasn’t their house, so they need to do things right. Guys who were considered “class acts” here, didn’t always play that way. Those same guys would go home during winter ball and play the way they know how to play. But, in the Big Leagues, they felt like they should not, or could not, play the game the way we play the game. They contained themselves. Yes, there have always been talks about Latin ballplayers playing the way they play, but never at the rate that it’s happening now, in my humble opinion. This is mainly coming from young players, also. Guys who grew up watching the pioneers who went before them and paved the way. Guys who were 10 years old when Vlad Guerrero, Pedro Martinez, and company were coming up. These are mainly the guys who are saying “No, we are not pushing over any more. We are doing this the way we do it”. This is simply my observation. It is good and bad. Good because we get to see the amazing (in my opinion) style of play that they bring to the table; The style of play that I remember and miss. However, it is also a bad thing because of the negative side-effects such as this brawl, and the less-covered retaliation plunkings that go on all the time over subtle bat-flips and such. As for Carlos Gomez, I have said and will say again: He has anger issues. He needs to learn to contain himself. Trust me, I understand how he feels the need to show his frustration on people who want to impose their way of playing the game onto him, but he needs to contain himself. He can’t go out throwing punches and helmets. I am 100% in agreement with that. However, things are not so black-and-white, and Gomez isn’t just some scumbag who needs to tighten up and learn to do it right. I predict that this display of emotion and excuberance on the field is not going anywhere. Young guys are out, and making a statement. This isn’t a blanket statement, either. I know that many young guys are very contained and don’t play in the way that I am describing, as well as old-school Latin players who never cared about toning it down for anybody. This is just an observation. What you may consider arrogance (flipping the bat, watching your shot, etc) is not necessarily considered arrogance by somebody else. See: objective vs subjective.

13. rbj1 - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I’m just glad we can turn our attention to this. Pretty sure Syrians would love to have our problems.

• tbird05 - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Wrong blog dude.

• rbj1 - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Wrong to point out that we’re getting all bent out of shape over a very minor thing?

• tbird05 - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Look, I understand the “complain about having no shoes and I will show you a man with no feet” thing, but your comment about Syrians, in this context, is stupid.

14. warpd - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:56 PM

I have no love for Chipper Jones, but calling him over-rated is ridiculous and this line… “yea I have. Haven’t watched a triple though.” is classic.

• friscoal - Apr 20, 2014 at 8:40 PM

I’ll take issue on that comment. Chipper overestimated a ton of fly balls. The big difference here is that Chipper is well, He’s Chipper. And Gomez is just another immigrant whose last name ends in ‘Z’.

• warpd - Apr 20, 2014 at 9:32 PM

I guess if you want to make race your driving factor that’s up to you. For me it comes down to this .303/.401/.930 for a career 141 OPS+. He’s not over-rated, and his comment was both relevant and funny.

• warpd - Apr 20, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Oh, and FU for making me defend Chipper Jones.

15. musketmaniac - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Half the Hall of Fame is Overrated. Especially the guys enshrined before the game was unsegregated, Calling yourself A Hall of Famer and not competing against half the talent( the better half of talent ) is disgraceful. So yea I’m calling Hall of Fame players Overrated for many different reasons. CALLING BABE RUTH A BUMB AND TY COBB A PIECE OF FILTH.

• tbird05 - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Well, at least you got half of your name right.

• gysgtc - Apr 20, 2014 at 8:34 PM

So, by your reasoning, all of the Negro League players should be considered overrated also. They didn’t play against half of the talent either. So, everyone before Jackie Robinson should be considered overrated. That’s a lot of history of baseball.

• jm91rs - Apr 20, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Babe Ruth was a bum? I guess that tells us all we need to know about your baseball iq.

16. hookersdontsnuggle - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:17 PM

chipper calling him hotdog is hilarious

• friscoal - Apr 20, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Chipper calling Oscar Meyer a hot dog is also hilarious.

• yahmule - Apr 21, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Self awareness is not Larry’s strong suit.

17. historiophiliac - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:29 PM

But Larry did admire his error in constructing a basketball goal — and he certainly did that the wrong way.

18. miguelcairo - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Gomez is a thug. Clean up your act or get out of the game. My 5 year old is more mature.

• friscoal - Apr 20, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Say what you mean. Gomez is a “Brown” thug and Chipper is “Mr. Clean”.

• tbird05 - Apr 20, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Anyone ever told you not to read into things what isn’t there? Sounds like you may have had some sour experiences with people making false accusations based on preconceived notions….ironic huh?

19. robreg22 - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Stupid ending to this story. Triples aren’t always 400-foot fly balls dick

20. President Charles Logan - Apr 20, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Gomez is a fkn punk and someone’s fixin to break his fkn legs or jaw one of these days and hopefully end his career… he’s a disgrace to the sport

21. floriojr - Apr 20, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Chipper was a very good regular season player, with good regular season power. Chipper should stay off twitter though..

• Reflex - Apr 20, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Um, in the post-season he batted .287/.409/.456 which is only slightly below his career averages. Pretty damn good considering the elite level pitching he faced in the postseason…

22. jolink653 - Apr 20, 2014 at 8:27 PM

If you think Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb are overrated, then you’re just stupid. Ruth is the best baseball player to ever step foot on a field as he was one of the premier pitchers of his time, holding the record for the most consecutive scoreless innings in World Series history until Whitey Ford broke it, as well as out-homering entire teams, and Ty Cobb is one of the best pure hitters/stolen base artists the game has ever seen. I don’t care who they did or didn’t play against

23. friscoal - Apr 20, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Oh no God – Please No! We’re going to be honored with another Kurt “I’ve retired from playing but not patting myself on the back” Schilling. Fine – OK – I get it. You don’t like some other player. Great. From what I’ve heard, there was a plethora of other players who didn’t like you. Hooray for diversity – Viva Le Difference – There’s supposed to be room for us all. Not just Chipper’s chosen few – although many are called. Go fishing or make yourself a bloody sock and have it framed.

24. twpguy1964 - Apr 20, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Time for Milwaukee to grow a pair and set Gomez straight. This kid is nothing more then a punk in a uniform. He’s gonna get one in the face/head sooner rather then later

25. jm91rs - Apr 20, 2014 at 9:33 PM

I had no idea this guy was so hated. Let’s make a “nothing but a punk team” and see how they fare against the nice guys. We’ll have Gomez and puig in the outfield, probably cueto pitching, who else?

• twpguy1964 - Apr 20, 2014 at 9:45 PM

The guy’s a hotdog that thinks he’s a star. He should try ACCOMPLISHING something before showing people up with his antics. The coach of the team needs to grow a pair and sit his a** before he gets a teammate hurt. The coward who sucker punched the Pirates player, I’d send his a** packing for 25 games

• jm91rs - Apr 20, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Only in baseball would it be your fault if your teammate got hurt because the opposing teams feelings were hurt by you. The only reason his coach should do anything is because he turned an inside the park homer into a triple, not because the other team’s feelings got hurt.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5856)