Apr 20, 2014, 1:51 PM EST
MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat reports that Cubs top shortstop prospect Javier Baez is back in the lineup Sunday afternoon at Triple-A Iowa after missing a little over a week with soreness in his left ankle.
He will serve as the designated hitter on Sunday but should be allowed to return to short early this week.
Baez was off to a slow start this year for the Iowa Cubs, batting just .154 with 10 strikeouts in 26 at-bats. He hit .310 with five home runs in 42 at-bats this spring in the Cactus League and tallied 37 home runs, 20 stolen bases, and 111 RBI in 130 games last season between High-A Daytona and Double-A Tennessee.
Regarded by most ranking services as one of the top five prospects in baseball, the 21-year-old former first-round pick (ninth overall in 2011) is likely to reach the major league level at some point this summer.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)