Apr 20, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat reports that Cubs top shortstop prospect Javier Baez is back in the lineup Sunday afternoon at Triple-A Iowa after missing a little over a week with soreness in his left ankle.
He will serve as the designated hitter on Sunday but should be allowed to return to short early this week.
Baez was off to a slow start this year for the Iowa Cubs, batting just .154 with 10 strikeouts in 26 at-bats. He hit .310 with five home runs in 42 at-bats this spring in the Cactus League and tallied 37 home runs, 20 stolen bases, and 111 RBI in 130 games last season between High-A Daytona and Double-A Tennessee.
Regarded by most ranking services as one of the top five prospects in baseball, the 21-year-old former first-round pick (ninth overall in 2011) is likely to reach the major league level at some point this summer.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)