Apr 20, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat reports that Cubs top shortstop prospect Javier Baez is back in the lineup Sunday afternoon at Triple-A Iowa after missing a little over a week with soreness in his left ankle.
He will serve as the designated hitter on Sunday but should be allowed to return to short early this week.
Baez was off to a slow start this year for the Iowa Cubs, batting just .154 with 10 strikeouts in 26 at-bats. He hit .310 with five home runs in 42 at-bats this spring in the Cactus League and tallied 37 home runs, 20 stolen bases, and 111 RBI in 130 games last season between High-A Daytona and Double-A Tennessee.
Regarded by most ranking services as one of the top five prospects in baseball, the 21-year-old former first-round pick (ninth overall in 2011) is likely to reach the major league level at some point this summer.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)