J.J. Hardy: Orioles’ lack of action on contract extension “just makes me curious”

Apr 20, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT

Boston Red Sox v Baltimore Orioles Boston Red Sox v Baltimore Orioles

The Orioles and J.J. Hardy were expected to at least broach the subject of a contract extension during spring training, but nothing has happened yet with May fast approaching. Hardy, 31, can become a free agent after the season once the final year of his three-year, $22.25 million contract expires.

That the Orioles haven’t been in contact with Hardy’s agent makes the shortstop scratch his head. Via Rich Dubroff of CSN Baltimore:

“I don’t know. I don’t know what to say because no matter what I say it’s going to cause some controversy, a story that I really don’t want to get involved with right now,” Hardy said. “There’s been no talk. There was going to be talk, and then there wasn’t. That’s kind of the way it’s been left.”

[...]

“It just makes me curious. I don’t understand what happened within the month or two that there was going to be talk, and all of a sudden there’s not. It just makes me curious,” Hardy said.

Hardy’s offensive numbers in 2012 and ’13 didn’t quite live up to the numbers he posted in his first year with the Orioles in 2011. And he’s off to a slow start in 2014, posting a .238/.250/.286 line over 44 plate appearances.

Hardy, by the way, left Sunday night’s game against the Red Sox with a strained right hamstring. He has also been dealing with back spasms, an injury that bothered him last season as well. While Hardy has mostly been healthy since joining the Orioles, one can understand the Orioles’ reticence in signing a long-term pact to a player dealing with various injury problems as he approaches his mid-30’s.

1. tfbuckfutter - Apr 20, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Just because they have had a couple lucky breaks and a couple decent seasons doesn’t make them not the Orioles.

Why be surprised by anything they do? They signed Delmon Young FFS.

• ripwarrior - Apr 20, 2014 at 11:46 PM

“Doesn’t make them not the Orioles” lol. Idiot. You would be the guy at the stadium holding a sign that says “orioles are loosers”

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 20, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Someone call an ambulance.

I have been badly burned.

• ripwarrior - Apr 20, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Everyone knows that this is CC. Hey, how have those braves been doing the past few years?

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 20, 2014 at 11:59 PM

I don’t know who you’re referring to by CC….But to answer your question I think better than the Orioles. Especially if by “last few years” you mean “last few years and couple decades before that.”

Thanks for making me compare random teams though. How about we do the Orioles and Brewers next? Spoiler alert the answer is going to be “they’ve performed mostly the same. Ain’t won anything.”

• renaado - Apr 21, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Delmon’s a great power hitter in their lineup.. Yes he’s defence in the outfield sucks but the reason the Orioles probably aquired him here because of he’s ability on driving the ball well even though he strikes out a lot… But I really don’t understand the reason why they didn’t put him in the DH role though knowing Urrutia’s not on the active roster yet.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 21, 2014 at 12:11 AM

What?

He averages 11 HRs a year and his most comparable players are Jeff Francoeur and Shea Hillenbrand.

• renaado - Apr 21, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Well true, but we may not know what will happen if he plays regularly this season. He might show his power potential if that happened.

• dan1111 - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:07 AM

@renaado, are you saying that Young’s nearly 1000 games in the majors have not given him enough chance to show his power potential?

• renaado - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:37 AM

He still has some room for improvements… I don’t know when or what team he plays when he’s goin find that stroke, but from my own standpoint he definitely has the potential. Besides he’s still 28 yrs of age so let’s give him some time.

• dillongeeescapeplan - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Delmon Young has had below average power numbers every year but 2010. He is not a power hitter.

OFers that can’t play defense, get on base OR hit for power are not good players. An empty BA doesn’t justify these things.

• mmeyer3387 - Apr 21, 2014 at 12:20 AM

I’m 50 and a life long Orioles fan, which have been very difficult at times. Things got so bad in the past that to the point where I used to just hope that we could just have a 500 season. The team was horrible, but I still loved them. Before I retired from the at military, I clung on to them as my connection and past childhood back home. Now I want just one more World Series title. Honestly, I do have hope I can stay the course and wait for good outcomes. As far Young, he seems to be a bargain this far, a good left hand bat.I do agree with you that Hardy is an important player and they should find a way to sign or extend him. Lastly, I truly enjoy watching him play the infield, he can pick the ball with the best of them.

• renaado - Apr 21, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Amazing… Truly amazing. I don’t care if the Braves are goin to struggle some time in the near future but if ever that happens, I truly won’t abandon a team who helped me gain an interest in Baseball, win or lose, 1st place or last I still love them, even though I can’t attend any of their games there even if I wanted to because it’s impossible. But definitely I wouldn’t waste a moment watching the Braves play in my MLB prem.

• dan1111 - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:10 AM

@TBF, the Orioles have made some questionable moves recently. However, not signing Hardy to an extension is not one of them, as the article notes. Also, for all Young’s limitations, at $750,000 he is really not such a terrible signing.

• psuorioles - Apr 21, 2014 at 9:24 AM

What questionable moves are you referring too?

• ravensnation21 - Apr 21, 2014 at 10:22 AM

@psuorioles I think he is referring to the Ubaldo Jimenez signing which I would have to agree with for the price we paid for him. So far I have been very disappointed in him. Cant throw strikes consistently. Besides that I’m very happy with the moves we made

2. Reflex - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:06 AM

Guessing Hardy does not realize that the future at short for the Orioles is Machado. There is no reason to sign Hardy when he is only keeping the position warm for Machado’s position switch.

3. watermelon1 - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:27 AM

Orioles were hoping one of these youngsters would shine and make JJ expendable.

But all they’ve done is make Hardy even more valuable to the team.

Hardy will partly be able to thank Schoop’s horrible play on his eventual new contract.

Same old O’s… Keep promising a bright future with young stars. Until they call them up and we all realize they were full of it.

I’m sure Bundy will be the next big bust.

• southpaw2k - Apr 21, 2014 at 7:39 AM

Umm….Schoop’s natural position is 2B. And you may not be aware of this, but Manny Machado has been pretty excellent both offensively and defensively. His natural position is SS, but he and Hardy have been a fantastic tandem together. Tillman has developed into an excellent starting pitcher, and Gausman has also developed after some rocky starts last year. I can only assume the “next big bust” you mentioned is someone other than the guys I had mentioned, especially since Bundy is coming off Tommy John surgery and will be back around July.

4. beachnbaseball - Apr 21, 2014 at 6:47 AM

I heard the Yankees shortstop is retiring after this season. Hardy in pinstripes?

5. psuorioles - Apr 21, 2014 at 9:22 AM

I’m a big fan of Hardy and thought they would have signed him to a two year extension which they still might do… however, with the qualifying offers out there, I could see that happening in the offseason. Going to be interested to see what happens with him.

6. watermelon1 - Apr 21, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Manny is awesome. But do you really want me to go down the list of busts?

First of all, while excellent THIS year, Tillman isnt someone I’d call an “ace” yet. And I don’t care what Schoop’s natural position is. He’s been terrible everywhere. And we wouldn’t even know how good Manny was at third if Josh Bell didn’t fail miserably. Remember when he was supposed to be the next big thing in Baltimore?

My point is, they thought they could gamble on guys like Schoop to step up and they wouldn’t have to pay JJ Hardy. They lost that gamble and will now have to pay more just to make up for hurt feelings. And that’s if he even wants to stay. Another season of missed playoffs and he’ll probably go somewhere else anyway.

When you have talent that is willing to stay with a team that is trying to rebuild…. You have to lock them up. Make one veteran feel disrespected and it’s hard to get any other veterans to want to come to town.

7. dillongeeescapeplan - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Hardy’s been a very underrated player. One of the best defensive shortstops over the last decade or so and he’s been a pretty decent hitter for a SS.

8. straightouttavtown - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:43 PM

He should feel lucky. At least they didn’t sign him to an extension then pull the offer after a failed physical. Just ask Grant Balfour and Tyler Colvin.

9. pesky99 - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Gotta earn it JJ, don’t just expect everything. Your numbers are not exactly awesome. The Orioles are working things out, going conservative it seems, looking at long term benefit, and maybe you are not a long term benefit Mr. Entitlement. Get off the ego horse and work harder.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3356)