Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list

Apr 20, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT

From the Yankees’ official team Twitter feed

To clear those roster spots, the Yankees optioned infielder Scott Sizemore to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, designated right-handed reliever Matt Daley for assignment, and placed starting pitcher Ivan Nova on the 15-day disabled list with a partially-torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow.

Teixeira is batting cleanup and playing first base Sunday against the Rays after missing a little over two weeks with a Grade 1 strain of his right hamstring. He is 3-for-12 with two RBI this year at the plate.

1. crawdaddybob - Apr 20, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Any wagers; +/- 30 games before he’s back on the DL? My guess is under! Getting old sure does suck!!

2. bigjimatch - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:12 PM

I wouldn’t unpack my bags if i were “Tex-message.” i see a return trip in the near future…

• dirtyharry1971 - Apr 20, 2014 at 8:01 PM

better get your eyes checked son, he’s here to stay and the East is OURS!!

3. deathmonkey41 - Apr 20, 2014 at 7:46 PM

It’s frustrating to watch this guy hit into the shift- especially with guys on base. I wish they could trade him, but who would actually want him?

4. 1harrypairatesties - Apr 20, 2014 at 11:43 PM

I give it 2 weeks before he’s back on the DL again. Yanks need to be prepared.

5. dcarroll73 - Apr 21, 2014 at 12:49 AM

I cannot understand all this hate directed toward this man. All he does is play the game well and not do or say anything to spark any controversy. He has a pretty durable record, and yet he gets trashed this way. Can any of the rational posters on this blog explain this to me? Oh, and by the way, I for one wish him well and a full recovery.

• anxovies - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Games played for NY until he was injured in 2013:

2009 156 games
      2010 158 games
      2011 156 games
      2012 123 games (chronic bronchitis and calf strain)

He missed 30 games in 2007, when he was traded from Texas to Atlanta, after he injured his quad running the bases. Prior to that he played in 507 consecutive games, a Texas franchise record. Hardly a track record of injuries.

All the trade deadline news to know