Apr 21, 2014, 10:24 PM EST
UPDATE: Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com reports that Sale will be placed on the disabled list. He was diagnosed with a flexor muscle strain, but the good news is that an MRI showed no ligament damage. The hope is that he won’t have to miss more than 15 days.
6:13 p.m. ET: Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com brings some potentially troubling news about White Sox left-hander Chris Sale:
Andre Rienzo is likely to fill in tomorrow night against the Tigers and Justin Verlander.
For all the concerns about Sale’s build and delivery, he has never been on the disabled list in his career. However, he was given a 10-day break from the rotation two years ago when the White Sox attempted to move him into the closer role. They reversed course after just one relief appearance. He also missed one start last season due to left shoulder tendinitis. The White Sox will have to hope that this is just a blip.
Sale, 25, is 3-0 with a 2.30 ERA and 29/7 K/BB ratio in 27 1/3 innings over his first four starts this season. He threw a career-high 214 1/3 innings last year.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 0
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 60
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)