Apr 21, 2014, 10:24 PM EST
UPDATE: Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com reports that Sale will be placed on the disabled list. He was diagnosed with a flexor muscle strain, but the good news is that an MRI showed no ligament damage. The hope is that he won’t have to miss more than 15 days.
6:13 p.m. ET: Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com brings some potentially troubling news about White Sox left-hander Chris Sale:
Andre Rienzo is likely to fill in tomorrow night against the Tigers and Justin Verlander.
For all the concerns about Sale’s build and delivery, he has never been on the disabled list in his career. However, he was given a 10-day break from the rotation two years ago when the White Sox attempted to move him into the closer role. They reversed course after just one relief appearance. He also missed one start last season due to left shoulder tendinitis. The White Sox will have to hope that this is just a blip.
Sale, 25, is 3-0 with a 2.30 ERA and 29/7 K/BB ratio in 27 1/3 innings over his first four starts this season. He threw a career-high 214 1/3 innings last year.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)