Apr 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Jason Giambi began the season on the disabled list with a broken rib, but the 43-year-old designated hitter is back on the Indians’ active roster now.
Giambi got a lot of credit for being a positive influence in Cleveland’s clubhouse last season and previously he’s been talked about as someone who could immediately go into coaching, but it’s unclear if he’s still a decent enough hitter to actually add value to a 25-man roster.
He can still draw walks and smack the occasional homer, but last season Giambi hit .183 in 71 games for his second straight year with a sub-.700 OPS.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)