Apr 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
Jason Giambi began the season on the disabled list with a broken rib, but the 43-year-old designated hitter is back on the Indians’ active roster now.
Giambi got a lot of credit for being a positive influence in Cleveland’s clubhouse last season and previously he’s been talked about as someone who could immediately go into coaching, but it’s unclear if he’s still a decent enough hitter to actually add value to a 25-man roster.
He can still draw walks and smack the occasional homer, but last season Giambi hit .183 in 71 games for his second straight year with a sub-.700 OPS.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 33
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 86
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)