Apr 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Jason Giambi began the season on the disabled list with a broken rib, but the 43-year-old designated hitter is back on the Indians’ active roster now.
Giambi got a lot of credit for being a positive influence in Cleveland’s clubhouse last season and previously he’s been talked about as someone who could immediately go into coaching, but it’s unclear if he’s still a decent enough hitter to actually add value to a 25-man roster.
He can still draw walks and smack the occasional homer, but last season Giambi hit .183 in 71 games for his second straight year with a sub-.700 OPS.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)