Apr 21, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez was scheduled to start Thursday for the Pirates, but instead the left-hander has been placed on the disabled list with right knee inflammation.
Pittsburgh has called up right-hander Jared Hughes to replace Rodriguez on the roster, but he’s a reliever and the Pirates figure to add a starter to fill in for him by Thursday.
Rodriguez missed nearly the entire second half of last season with elbow and forearm problems, and then got knocked around to begin this year with a 7.65 ERA and league-high seven homers allowed in four starts.
Rodriguez has had a sub-4.00 ERA every season since 2008, but at age 35 it seems like he’s falling apart physically with free agency ahead of him this winter.
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 8
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 45
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 26
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 10
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)