Apr 21, 2014, 3:48 PM EST
Wandy Rodriguez was scheduled to start Thursday for the Pirates, but instead the left-hander has been placed on the disabled list with right knee inflammation.
Pittsburgh has called up right-hander Jared Hughes to replace Rodriguez on the roster, but he’s a reliever and the Pirates figure to add a starter to fill in for him by Thursday.
Rodriguez missed nearly the entire second half of last season with elbow and forearm problems, and then got knocked around to begin this year with a 7.65 ERA and league-high seven homers allowed in four starts.
Rodriguez has had a sub-4.00 ERA every season since 2008, but at age 35 it seems like he’s falling apart physically with free agency ahead of him this winter.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)