Apr 21, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez was scheduled to start Thursday for the Pirates, but instead the left-hander has been placed on the disabled list with right knee inflammation.
Pittsburgh has called up right-hander Jared Hughes to replace Rodriguez on the roster, but he’s a reliever and the Pirates figure to add a starter to fill in for him by Thursday.
Rodriguez missed nearly the entire second half of last season with elbow and forearm problems, and then got knocked around to begin this year with a 7.65 ERA and league-high seven homers allowed in four starts.
Rodriguez has had a sub-4.00 ERA every season since 2008, but at age 35 it seems like he’s falling apart physically with free agency ahead of him this winter.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 11
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 46
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 51
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 44
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)