Apr 21, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez was scheduled to start Thursday for the Pirates, but instead the left-hander has been placed on the disabled list with right knee inflammation.
Pittsburgh has called up right-hander Jared Hughes to replace Rodriguez on the roster, but he’s a reliever and the Pirates figure to add a starter to fill in for him by Thursday.
Rodriguez missed nearly the entire second half of last season with elbow and forearm problems, and then got knocked around to begin this year with a 7.65 ERA and league-high seven homers allowed in four starts.
Rodriguez has had a sub-4.00 ERA every season since 2008, but at age 35 it seems like he’s falling apart physically with free agency ahead of him this winter.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 58
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)