Apr 21, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez was scheduled to start Thursday for the Pirates, but instead the left-hander has been placed on the disabled list with right knee inflammation.
Pittsburgh has called up right-hander Jared Hughes to replace Rodriguez on the roster, but he’s a reliever and the Pirates figure to add a starter to fill in for him by Thursday.
Rodriguez missed nearly the entire second half of last season with elbow and forearm problems, and then got knocked around to begin this year with a 7.65 ERA and league-high seven homers allowed in four starts.
Rodriguez has had a sub-4.00 ERA every season since 2008, but at age 35 it seems like he’s falling apart physically with free agency ahead of him this winter.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)