Apr 21, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Three weeks into the season and Cleveland manager Terry Francona has already called his first team meeting.
With the Indians off to a 7-10 start Francona brought the team together following Saturday’s loss and gave them a pep talk, which he described to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:
I care about them a lot and I really like this team a lot. I just felt like maybe half-reassuring and kind of explaining, “Remember who we are and how we go about things. We’re getting tested a little bit and that’s part of it. We’ve been tested before. Just continue to fight through things together.”
And then they went out an won Sunday.
Cleveland is coming off a 92-win season, but 7-10 (and now 8-10) isn’t exactly a disastrous start considering they actually started 7-10 last season and dipped as low as 8-13 before finishing the year on an 84-57 run.
It seems like there’s probably a very thin line between calling the right amount of team meetings to keep a team motivated during a long season and totally losing your audience because you’re constantly calling team meetings. Francona probably knows as well as anyone where that line is, but what happens on the meeting front if the Indians have another rough week or two?
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Monday night’s MLB games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)