Apr 21, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT
This video — sent to me by J. Freedom du Lac — has everything. Skinny Jim Thome. A home run with a bat flip. Bob Uecker. Happy Indians fans totally oblivious to the fact that they’re about to lose the World Series to the Braves in six games. It’s just a treasure.
But really the lesson here is how you have to stop me-first hot dogs like Jim Thome from doing things like flipping his bat early. Here the Mariners didn’t do that and look at the sort of baseball-ruining showboat he became over the next 17 years. It was a disgrace, frankly. If only someone had gotten in his face then and barked at him. Unfortunately, Gerrit Cole was only five-years-old at the time.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)