Apr 21, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT
This video — sent to me by J. Freedom du Lac — has everything. Skinny Jim Thome. A home run with a bat flip. Bob Uecker. Happy Indians fans totally oblivious to the fact that they’re about to lose the World Series to the Braves in six games. It’s just a treasure.
But really the lesson here is how you have to stop me-first hot dogs like Jim Thome from doing things like flipping his bat early. Here the Mariners didn’t do that and look at the sort of baseball-ruining showboat he became over the next 17 years. It was a disgrace, frankly. If only someone had gotten in his face then and barked at him. Unfortunately, Gerrit Cole was only five-years-old at the time.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)