Apr 22, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT
Cardinals ace Adam Wainwright landed awkwardly while trying to chase down a high-chopper off the bat of Chris Young in the seventh inning Tuesday night at Citi Field and hobbled off the field and into the visitors dugout after Cards first baseman Matt Adams made a nice play on the ball for the third out of the frame.
Now comes word from Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that Wainwright has been diagnosed with a hyperextended right knee. Wainwright was seen laughing with his teammates in the dugout in the eighth inning, so the presumption is that it’s not a serious injury. But the right-hander could need to miss a start or two.
Wainwright had tossed seven scoreless innings against the Mets and used only 79 pitches.
He has an outstanding 1.46 ERA, 0.81 WHIP, and 35 strikeouts through 37 innings this year.
UPDATE, 10:21 p.m. ET: Some good postgame news here from Goold …
— Derrick Goold (@dgoold) April 23, 2014
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)