Apr 22, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT
Cardinals ace Adam Wainwright landed awkwardly while trying to chase down a high-chopper off the bat of Chris Young in the seventh inning Tuesday night at Citi Field and hobbled off the field and into the visitors dugout after Cards first baseman Matt Adams made a nice play on the ball for the third out of the frame.
Now comes word from Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that Wainwright has been diagnosed with a hyperextended right knee. Wainwright was seen laughing with his teammates in the dugout in the eighth inning, so the presumption is that it’s not a serious injury. But the right-hander could need to miss a start or two.
Wainwright had tossed seven scoreless innings against the Mets and used only 79 pitches.
He has an outstanding 1.46 ERA, 0.81 WHIP, and 35 strikeouts through 37 innings this year.
UPDATE, 10:21 p.m. ET: Some good postgame news here from Goold …
— Derrick Goold (@dgoold) April 23, 2014
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 26
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 22
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 9
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)