Apr 22, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT
Cardinals ace Adam Wainwright landed awkwardly while trying to chase down a high-chopper off the bat of Chris Young in the seventh inning Tuesday night at Citi Field and hobbled off the field and into the visitors dugout after Cards first baseman Matt Adams made a nice play on the ball for the third out of the frame.
Now comes word from Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that Wainwright has been diagnosed with a hyperextended right knee. Wainwright was seen laughing with his teammates in the dugout in the eighth inning, so the presumption is that it’s not a serious injury. But the right-hander could need to miss a start or two.
Wainwright had tossed seven scoreless innings against the Mets and used only 79 pitches.
He has an outstanding 1.46 ERA, 0.81 WHIP, and 35 strikeouts through 37 innings this year.
UPDATE, 10:21 p.m. ET: Some good postgame news here from Goold …
— Derrick Goold (@dgoold) April 23, 2014
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)