Apr 22, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT
Cardinals ace Adam Wainwright landed awkwardly while trying to chase down a high-chopper off the bat of Chris Young in the seventh inning Tuesday night at Citi Field and hobbled off the field and into the visitors dugout after Cards first baseman Matt Adams made a nice play on the ball for the third out of the frame.
Now comes word from Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that Wainwright has been diagnosed with a hyperextended right knee. Wainwright was seen laughing with his teammates in the dugout in the eighth inning, so the presumption is that it’s not a serious injury. But the right-hander could need to miss a start or two.
Wainwright had tossed seven scoreless innings against the Mets and used only 79 pitches.
He has an outstanding 1.46 ERA, 0.81 WHIP, and 35 strikeouts through 37 innings this year.
UPDATE, 10:21 p.m. ET: Some good postgame news here from Goold …
— Derrick Goold (@dgoold) April 23, 2014
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 4
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)