Apr 22, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT
Cardinals ace Adam Wainwright landed awkwardly while trying to chase down a high-chopper off the bat of Chris Young in the seventh inning Tuesday night at Citi Field and hobbled off the field and into the visitors dugout after Cards first baseman Matt Adams made a nice play on the ball for the third out of the frame.
Now comes word from Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that Wainwright has been diagnosed with a hyperextended right knee. Wainwright was seen laughing with his teammates in the dugout in the eighth inning, so the presumption is that it’s not a serious injury. But the right-hander could need to miss a start or two.
Wainwright had tossed seven scoreless innings against the Mets and used only 79 pitches.
He has an outstanding 1.46 ERA, 0.81 WHIP, and 35 strikeouts through 37 innings this year.
UPDATE, 10:21 p.m. ET: Some good postgame news here from Goold …
— Derrick Goold (@dgoold) April 23, 2014
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)