Apr 22, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT
Bob Uecker has already been immortalized in bronze outside Miller Park for his several decades of wonderful service as the Brewers’ radio announcer. Now he’s getting a second statue which is more about honoring his career as an everyman/pitchman.
It’s in the last row of the so-called “Uecker Seats” in the upper deck, and pays tribute to his time in those Miller Lite commercials in the 70s and 80s in which Uecker is considered not good enough to be given anything but cheap seats:
The statue has Uecker seated with an empty seat next to him, providing a perfect photo opportunity for fans at the ball park. The statue is made of bronze but also has color effects and was designed by Brian Maughan, the artist responsible for the four statues outside of Miller Park of Uecker, Robin Yount, Hank Aaron and Bud Selig.
Now, to complete things, Uecker needs a Harry Doyle statue someplace in Cleveland and a statue representing his time on “Mr. Belvedere” someplace in Pittsburgh.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 4
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)