Apr 22, 2014, 11:31 AM EST
Bob Uecker has already been immortalized in bronze outside Miller Park for his several decades of wonderful service as the Brewers’ radio announcer. Now he’s getting a second statue which is more about honoring his career as an everyman/pitchman.
It’s in the last row of the so-called “Uecker Seats” in the upper deck, and pays tribute to his time in those Miller Lite commercials in the 70s and 80s in which Uecker is considered not good enough to be given anything but cheap seats:
The statue has Uecker seated with an empty seat next to him, providing a perfect photo opportunity for fans at the ball park. The statue is made of bronze but also has color effects and was designed by Brian Maughan, the artist responsible for the four statues outside of Miller Park of Uecker, Robin Yount, Hank Aaron and Bud Selig.
Now, to complete things, Uecker needs a Harry Doyle statue someplace in Cleveland and a statue representing his time on “Mr. Belvedere” someplace in Pittsburgh.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (294)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)