Apr 22, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT
Bob Uecker has already been immortalized in bronze outside Miller Park for his several decades of wonderful service as the Brewers’ radio announcer. Now he’s getting a second statue which is more about honoring his career as an everyman/pitchman.
It’s in the last row of the so-called “Uecker Seats” in the upper deck, and pays tribute to his time in those Miller Lite commercials in the 70s and 80s in which Uecker is considered not good enough to be given anything but cheap seats:
The statue has Uecker seated with an empty seat next to him, providing a perfect photo opportunity for fans at the ball park. The statue is made of bronze but also has color effects and was designed by Brian Maughan, the artist responsible for the four statues outside of Miller Park of Uecker, Robin Yount, Hank Aaron and Bud Selig.
Now, to complete things, Uecker needs a Harry Doyle statue someplace in Cleveland and a statue representing his time on “Mr. Belvedere” someplace in Pittsburgh.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)