Apr 22, 2014, 9:23 AM EST
On Opening Day, Cliff Lee gave up eight runs on 11 hits in five innings. That’s not a Cliff Lee anyone is used to seeing. I actually got asked on a radio show if Cliff Lee is on the decline. After one start! Well, Cliff Lee has answered that question. Here is his line for his last four:
30 IP, 33 H, 37K, 1 BB, 1.20 ERA
That’s a lot of hits, of course, but when you strike out dudes like crazy and don’t walk anyone you can get away with that. And having watched all of his start last Wednesday and part of his start last night, it’s clear that Lee’s command and control is no different than it’s always been. Which is to say spectacular. There is no one in the game who is able to put the ball where he wants to put it like Cliff Lee can.
Last night he tied the Dodgers up in knots. He struck out ten in eight shutout innings. He struck out 13 Braves in that game last Wednesday and, even if he took the loss thanks to no run support, he was dominant.
Some things change. Some things don’t. Cliff Lee looking amazing is one of those things that doesn’t.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)