Apr 22, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
On Opening Day, Cliff Lee gave up eight runs on 11 hits in five innings. That’s not a Cliff Lee anyone is used to seeing. I actually got asked on a radio show if Cliff Lee is on the decline. After one start! Well, Cliff Lee has answered that question. Here is his line for his last four:
30 IP, 33 H, 37K, 1 BB, 1.20 ERA
That’s a lot of hits, of course, but when you strike out dudes like crazy and don’t walk anyone you can get away with that. And having watched all of his start last Wednesday and part of his start last night, it’s clear that Lee’s command and control is no different than it’s always been. Which is to say spectacular. There is no one in the game who is able to put the ball where he wants to put it like Cliff Lee can.
Last night he tied the Dodgers up in knots. He struck out ten in eight shutout innings. He struck out 13 Braves in that game last Wednesday and, even if he took the loss thanks to no run support, he was dominant.
Some things change. Some things don’t. Cliff Lee looking amazing is one of those things that doesn’t.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (97)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (96)