Apr 22, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Astros prospect Delino DeShields Jr. was hit by a pitch, fractured his cheek bone and was featured in the photo of the year so far over the weekend. So, if he’s discouraged or bitter about it all, it would be totally understandable. But guess what: he’s not discouraged or bitter. Not at all.
DeShields gave an interview to Fox’s Jimmy Traina yesterday, and he’s waxing optimistic. Traina asked him if he was scared when his face blew up like it did:
I wasn’t scared at all. Everything happens for a reason, as silly as that may sound considering I got a ball to my face. But at the end of the day, I’m blessed and I know that God has something in store for me . . . Right now I’m going great, man. I’m in high spirits, and, like I said, I’m just blessed that God is giving me a second chance to play the game I love. It’s just a minor setback. There’s gotta be some major stuff that needs to happen to me before I can’t step back on the field against my own will.
He added “it could be a lot worse and I’m not dead,” and talked about how he and teammates starting joking about it the second he regained consciousness.
Impressive stuff. This must be what they talk about when they talk about a guy having “a good makeup.”
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)