Delino DeShields Jr. is astonishingly optimistic about getting beaned with that fastball

Apr 22, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT

Astros prospect Delino DeShields Jr. was hit by a pitch, fractured his cheek bone and was featured in the photo of the year so far over the weekend. So, if he’s discouraged or bitter about it all, it would be totally understandable. But guess what: he’s not discouraged or bitter. Not at all.

DeShields gave an interview to Fox’s Jimmy Traina yesterday, and he’s waxing optimistic. Traina asked him if he was scared when his face blew up like it did:

I wasn’t scared at all. Everything happens for a reason, as silly as that may sound considering I got a ball to my face. But at the end of the day, I’m blessed and I know that God has something in store for me . . . Right now I’m going great, man. I’m in high spirits, and, like I said, I’m just blessed that God is giving me a second chance to play the game I love. It’s just a minor setback. There’s gotta be some major stuff that needs to happen to me before I can’t step back on the field against my own will.

He added “it could be a lot worse and I’m not dead,” and talked about how he and teammates starting joking about it the second he regained consciousness.

Impressive stuff. This must be what they talk about when they talk about a guy having “a good makeup.”

1. unclemosesgreen - Apr 22, 2014 at 10:08 AM

We’ll see what kind of tune he’s singing once he kicks the Oxycontin.

• ropodope - Apr 22, 2014 at 4:27 PM

i think you are confused with how they do it in your family.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 22, 2014 at 4:58 PM

That was a random and obnoxious bit of stupidity. GFY

2. southpaw2k - Apr 22, 2014 at 10:11 AM

He really called being hit in the face by a pitch that fractured his cheek bone a “minor setback”? Man must have cojones made of adamantium.

• lukedunphysscienceproject - Apr 22, 2014 at 10:55 AM

It is a minor set back.

If you were a kid trying to launch a career, would you rather have a fastball break your cheek bone or your elbow? One hurts alot and looks terrible, one could end your career.

3. chc4 - Apr 22, 2014 at 10:22 AM

You would think the team docs would’ve removed the baseball from his mouth by now.

• billybawl - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:49 PM

So wrong, but so funny.

4. stex52 - Apr 22, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Of course the first concern is that he is all right. Good for him for taking this with a good attitude. He is tough, but it is going to take a while to get back.

And another shot to Astros’ development plans. I thought we might see him at MLB late this year/ early next year.

• jeffa43 - Apr 22, 2014 at 5:12 PM

We would have saw him in September for sure…. How about calling up Singleton to protect Springer…. Back to back Player of the week award…

Leads all Minor Leaguers in Home Runs, RBI, and extra base hits…..

OH! I forgot, Carter is in front of him…. and Carter is hitting .104 with 0 HR & 2 RBI… but, he does lead the Majors in K’s.

5. tysonpunchinguterus - Apr 22, 2014 at 10:58 AM

For his sake, I hope that doesn’t create any mental roadblocks for him once he recovers and faces live pitching again. The same goes for the pitcher who hit him. Fear of a repeat could derail either guy’s career and that would be a shame. His attitude about it is incredible, though, so that’s a good start.

• stex52 - Apr 22, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Can’t ever say. But I think that is usually a risk they just deal with. Look at infant getting clobbered square in the face. He missed, what, about three or four games? And came back hitting great.

I guess they just can shut that out when they concentrate.

• stex52 - Apr 22, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Infante, that is.

• chc4 - Apr 22, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Imagining what his paycheck would be outside of baseball would likely help him get over any mental hurdles.

6. sandrafluke2012 - Apr 22, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Everything happens for a reason? huh

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 22, 2014 at 12:33 PM

I for one question your presence and see it as a purposeful comment that society really is a sick creature.

So yes, even a cowardly Jew and woman bashing idiot like you serves a purpose.

• sandrafluke2012 - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:41 PM

haha. someone is under someone’s skin. Everything is based off of groups to you. “women-bashing” Yeah, I bet you speak nicely of women libertarians and women conservatives.

• stex52 - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I imagine he does. It is pretty idiotic just to hate on political affiliation.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 22, 2014 at 3:06 PM

You got it, “Sandra”.

“Aww. Poor Jew defending a spoiled brat that wants the taxpayer to pay for her lifestyle. Want free condoms? Go to another college”

Said by you in the Delino Dehshields thread. What an open mind!

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 22, 2014 at 3:07 PM

*Russell Martin

7. miguelcairo - Apr 22, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Yeah, let’s thank God.

8. koufaxmitzvah - Apr 22, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Saw his dad get run over by Raul Mondesi as they both converged on a pop-up to short right field. Hopefully, son recovers better.

9. tomtravis76 - Apr 22, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Gary roenicke used to wear an altered batting helmet that protected his face after he was hit in the face by a pitch.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3218)