Apr 22, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Astros prospect Delino DeShields Jr. was hit by a pitch, fractured his cheek bone and was featured in the photo of the year so far over the weekend. So, if he’s discouraged or bitter about it all, it would be totally understandable. But guess what: he’s not discouraged or bitter. Not at all.
DeShields gave an interview to Fox’s Jimmy Traina yesterday, and he’s waxing optimistic. Traina asked him if he was scared when his face blew up like it did:
I wasn’t scared at all. Everything happens for a reason, as silly as that may sound considering I got a ball to my face. But at the end of the day, I’m blessed and I know that God has something in store for me . . . Right now I’m going great, man. I’m in high spirits, and, like I said, I’m just blessed that God is giving me a second chance to play the game I love. It’s just a minor setback. There’s gotta be some major stuff that needs to happen to me before I can’t step back on the field against my own will.
He added “it could be a lot worse and I’m not dead,” and talked about how he and teammates starting joking about it the second he regained consciousness.
Impressive stuff. This must be what they talk about when they talk about a guy having “a good makeup.”
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)