Doctors recommend Tommy John surgery for Ivan Nova

Apr 22, 2014, 4:18 PM EST

ivan nova yankees getty Getty Images

Ivan Nova went for a second opinion after being diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament and another doctor agreed with the initial verdict, recommending that the Yankees right-hander undergo season-ending Tommy John elbow surgery.

Tommy John surgery would knock Nova out for the remainder of this season and put his status for the beginning of 2015 in question as well. And given his arbitration eligibility next offseason and current $3.3 million salary there’s a decent chance the Yankees could end up releasing him into the open market.

Nova bounced back from a rough 2012 season to have a very nice 2013 campaign, throwing 139 innings with a 3.10 ERA, but he got knocked around for an 8.27 ERA and league-high six homers allowed in four starts this year before being shut down.

1. chc4 - Apr 22, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Why would the Yankees release him? He’s still relatively cheap and guys come back from TJS all the time. I can’t see that.

• banksatdixie - Apr 22, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I agree. That seems like quite a reach.

• Jeremy T - Apr 22, 2014 at 4:59 PM

The idea that the Yankees would give up a potentially solid mid-rotation starter to save $4 million or so is kind of hilarious

• NYTolstoy - Apr 22, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Well I see most people agree on the subject. It would be odd to let him go for 4 million especially it being the Yankees. I hope he recovers and can come back hopefully after the all star break which would give that rotation a push in August September. If he looks good next year I don’t see why the Yankees wouldn’t sign him up for a few more years. He is a solid mid of the rotation starter. His sophomore year he had that slump but it’s common plus last year he pitched brilliantly. I hope he’s in the Yankees future, he’s definitely one of my favorite Yankees.

2. phoenixrising23 - Apr 22, 2014 at 4:34 PM

“And given his arbitration eligibility next offseason and current $3.3 million salary there‚Äôs a decent chance the Yankees could end up releasing him into the open market.”

Despite the inconsistency, Nova is the quality of a #4 now in the Yankees system given the impressive performances of Tanaka and Pineda. Paying roughly $3.5m in arbitration would seem like a fair salary for a #4 type pitcher. There is *zero* chance the Yankees let him go for nothing. With last year’s results and what he’s done up until the UCL injury, there’s no telling what he will be after the rehab. That said, there’s no doubt that 2013 Ivan Nova would be a quality piece to any rotation moving forward. There is little to no risk in keeping him and assessing what he can do after the TJS before he hits FA in 2016.

3. rbj1 - Apr 22, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Once I saw “torn UCL” I figured on TJ. I think the Yankees will keep him, he’ll go on the 60 day DL, freeing up a 40 man spot.

4. gatorprof - Apr 22, 2014 at 5:06 PM

No reason to release him, not at his low salary. Has a guy ever been rehabbing from TJS and hit arbitration? I would think that it would be a bargain for the team.

I wish Nova the best and hope that he comes back better than ever.

5. sabresfanallday - Apr 22, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Aaron what have you been smoking

6. tuberippin - Apr 22, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Agree with all the above commenters; Yankees need pitching too much to just let Ivan Nova go during the off-season to save what amounts to pennies on the dollar for such a wealthy franchise.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester