Apr 22, 2014, 8:39 PM EST
Manny Machado will soon be one phone call away from rejoining the Orioles’ active major league roster.
According to Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun, the young third baseman has been cleared to embark on a minor league rehab assignment this Friday with the High-A Frederick Keys. Machado has been doing outfield drills since the second week of April and made it through an on-field batting practice session with no issues on Tuesday afternoon.
The exciting 21-year-old is on his way back from October surgery to repair a torn medial patellofemoral ligament in his left knee. He batted .283/.314/.432 with 14 home runs, 51 doubles, 71 RBI, and 88 runs scored in 156 games last season for the ORioles before suffering the major knee injury in a late-September game at Tropicana Field.
Machado is on track to meet up with the O’s the first week of May.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 2
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 18
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 15
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 144
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)