Apr 22, 2014, 8:39 PM EDT
Manny Machado will soon be one phone call away from rejoining the Orioles’ active major league roster.
According to Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun, the young third baseman has been cleared to embark on a minor league rehab assignment this Friday with the High-A Frederick Keys. Machado has been doing outfield drills since the second week of April and made it through an on-field batting practice session with no issues on Tuesday afternoon.
The exciting 21-year-old is on his way back from October surgery to repair a torn medial patellofemoral ligament in his left knee. He batted .283/.314/.432 with 14 home runs, 51 doubles, 71 RBI, and 88 runs scored in 156 games last season for the ORioles before suffering the major knee injury in a late-September game at Tropicana Field.
Machado is on track to meet up with the O’s the first week of May.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)