Apr 22, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
MLB has handed out suspensions for the Easter afternoon brawl between the Brewers and Pirates. On the Milwaukee side Martin Maldonado gets five games and Carlos Gomez gets three games. On the Pittsburgh side Travis Snider gets two games and Russell Martin gets one game. And they were all fined.
Maldonado receives the biggest punishment–including a $2,500 fine–after punching Snider in the face, resulting in a black eye and a large cut for the Pirates outfielder. Gomez got the whole ruckus going by admiring what he thought was a home run before sprinting for a triple, while Pirates right-hander Gerrit Cole avoids a suspension presumably because MLB believes his involvement consisted of screaming at Gomez rather than, say, helping to incite the whole thing.
No word yet on which players plan to appeal the suspensions and/or fines. Martin has challenged Maldonado to an offseason fight in the name of raising money for charity, but Maldonado declined. As a backup catcher a five-game suspension really only means missing one game for Maldonado, who plays sparingly behind Brewers starter Jonathan Lucroy anyway.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (87)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)