Apr 22, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT
No official word from MLB yet, but Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that Brewers catcher Martin Maldonado has been suspended five games and fined $2,500 for his role in Sunday afternoon’s brawl with the Pirates.
There will be more news of suspensions coming, likely later this afternoon, but Maldonado was front and center by landing a punch to the face of Travis Snider that resulted in the black eye shown in the accompanying photo.
Maldonado is a backup catcher, so being suspended for five games likely only means he’ll sit out one more game than he would have under normal circumstances.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)