Ryan Dempster hired by MLB Network

Apr 22, 2014, 12:30 PM EST

ryan dempster getty Getty Images

MLB Network announced this morning that it has hired Ryan Dempster as a studio analyst. Dempster, the press release says “will appear across MLB Network’s studio programming.” He’ll make his debut tomorrow during High Heat with Christopher Russo. He’ll be the one not screaming like a maniac and acting as if his volume and faux-exasperation provides a good substitute for insight.

Dempster announced back in February that, while he is not officially retiring as a player, he’s sitting out this his season due to “physical reasons and his desire to spend more time with his kids.” One suspects that taking this gig makes the one-year off a lot more of a permanent thing.

1. renaado - Apr 22, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Awesome.

2. brandotho - Apr 22, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Dempster and Mad Dog Russo in the same room? The level of self-importance and self-righteousness will be through the roof

3. miguelcairo - Apr 22, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Oh brother.

4. rbj1 - Apr 22, 2014 at 12:52 PM

I’m fine with this. The show is at 1 pm during the week. When I’m at work and thus have no opportunity to watch.

5. nymets4ever - Apr 22, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Yea, and everyone would still rather hear Chris Russo, Ryan Dempster, and those 3,457 big-league ballplayers talk baseball over you and Kay Adams.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:22 PM

nope, nope, nope!

• miguelcairo - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Mets [still] suck.

• hep3 - Apr 22, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I hope Dempster is replacing Harold Reynolds.

6. gbart22 - Apr 22, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Not enough to hate on mike francesa all the time but you also must go after his ex partner. You really must have some severe inferiority complex when it comes to them. P*nis envy much?

7. natstowngreg - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I wouldn’t make any assumptions about Dempster’s future. Recall Mark Mulder’s comeback attempt (unfortunately, cut short due to injury).

Meanwhile, I expect to get a tweet at any moment, wanting me to follow Dempster in his new capacity (if I haven’t otten one already). I’m relatively new to this tweeting thing, but it seems most of my baseball-related tweets are about people/organizations (1) retweeting something I’ve seen already; (2) posting pictures of themselves; and/or (3) trying to get me to follow more people/organizations, thus generating even more useless tweets. It can be tough to sort through the noise to get to actual contact.

8. moogro - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:23 PM

I know they have several hours to kill a day and Russo was out of a job, but Russo stinks.

9. metalhead65 - Apr 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM

the nerve of the mlb network hiring guys who played the game and know what they are talking about over bunch of stat nerds who never played the game at any level and think they know it all based on their stupid metrics. I would rather listen to a ex ball player no matter how bad he is over some self appointed know it all stat nerd.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5071)