Apr 22, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Batting practice can be a dangerous place, as Royals first base coach Rusty Kuntz unfortunately learned Monday when a Salvador Perez line drive broke his wrist.
Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Kuntz was just minding his own business, standing in center field getting ready to hit some fungoes, when Perez lined a ball into his arm. Or as Kuntz described it:
I thought somebody hit me with a baseball bat. It was like “Oh my God. What the hell?” And that was the first time I’ve ever broken a bone.
He’s hoping to be back on the job as soon as this weekend and in the meantime Kuntz mostly seems focused on trying to make Perez feel less bad about what happened after a previous line drive off the Royals catcher’s bat struck Aroldis Chapman in the head.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $55,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s just $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 8
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 55
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)