Apr 22, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Batting practice can be a dangerous place, as Royals first base coach Rusty Kuntz unfortunately learned Monday when a Salvador Perez line drive broke his wrist.
Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Kuntz was just minding his own business, standing in center field getting ready to hit some fungoes, when Perez lined a ball into his arm. Or as Kuntz described it:
I thought somebody hit me with a baseball bat. It was like “Oh my God. What the hell?” And that was the first time I’ve ever broken a bone.
He’s hoping to be back on the job as soon as this weekend and in the meantime Kuntz mostly seems focused on trying to make Perez feel less bad about what happened after a previous line drive off the Royals catcher’s bat struck Aroldis Chapman in the head.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $55,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s just $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 8
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 15
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 82
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8