Apr 22, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Batting practice can be a dangerous place, as Royals first base coach Rusty Kuntz unfortunately learned Monday when a Salvador Perez line drive broke his wrist.
Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Kuntz was just minding his own business, standing in center field getting ready to hit some fungoes, when Perez lined a ball into his arm. Or as Kuntz described it:
I thought somebody hit me with a baseball bat. It was like “Oh my God. What the hell?” And that was the first time I’ve ever broken a bone.
He’s hoping to be back on the job as soon as this weekend and in the meantime Kuntz mostly seems focused on trying to make Perez feel less bad about what happened after a previous line drive off the Royals catcher’s bat struck Aroldis Chapman in the head.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $55,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s just $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Report: Cuban infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 1
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 12
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 10
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 142
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (144)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)