Apr 23, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
Brewers pitching prospect Johnny Hellweg, who was acquired from the Angels as part of the Zack Greinke swap in July of 2012, has been diagnosed with a torn ulnar collateral ligament and is expected to undergo Tommy John elbow surgery.
Hellweg struggled mightily in his MLB debut last season, walking 26 batters in 31 innings, but the 25-year-old right-hander has a mid-90s fastball and posted a 3.40 ERA in 27 starts at Triple-A despite consistently terrible control.
Assuming that he goes under the knife Hellweg will miss the remainder of this season and likely some of 2015 as well.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40