Apr 24, 2014, 7:46 PM EDT
Some troubling news for the Athletics this evening, as Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that A.J. Griffin is feeling continued discomfort in his right elbow and will see Dr. Thomas Mehlhoff in Houston next Tuesday for a second opinion.
Griffin was shut down about five weeks ago due to right flexor tendinitis, an issue which dates back to late last season. He began throwing in the past couple of days, but still doesn’t feel right. These type of injuries are sometimes a precursor to Tommy John surgery, so the Athletics will have to hope that the worst-case scenario is not necessary. They already had Jarrod Parker go under the knife in the spring.
Griffin, 26, owns a 3.60 ERA over his first 47 starts in the majors.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)