Apr 24, 2014, 7:46 PM EDT
Some troubling news for the Athletics this evening, as Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that A.J. Griffin is feeling continued discomfort in his right elbow and will see Dr. Thomas Mehlhoff in Houston next Tuesday for a second opinion.
Griffin was shut down about five weeks ago due to right flexor tendinitis, an issue which dates back to late last season. He began throwing in the past couple of days, but still doesn’t feel right. These type of injuries are sometimes a precursor to Tommy John surgery, so the Athletics will have to hope that the worst-case scenario is not necessary. They already had Jarrod Parker go under the knife in the spring.
Griffin, 26, owns a 3.60 ERA over his first 47 starts in the majors.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)