Apr 24, 2014, 7:46 PM EDT
Some troubling news for the Athletics this evening, as Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that A.J. Griffin is feeling continued discomfort in his right elbow and will see Dr. Thomas Mehlhoff in Houston next Tuesday for a second opinion.
Griffin was shut down about five weeks ago due to right flexor tendinitis, an issue which dates back to late last season. He began throwing in the past couple of days, but still doesn’t feel right. These type of injuries are sometimes a precursor to Tommy John surgery, so the Athletics will have to hope that the worst-case scenario is not necessary. They already had Jarrod Parker go under the knife in the spring.
Griffin, 26, owns a 3.60 ERA over his first 47 starts in the majors.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 6
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 20
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 56
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 69
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (94)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)