Apr 24, 2014, 7:46 PM EDT
Some troubling news for the Athletics this evening, as Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that A.J. Griffin is feeling continued discomfort in his right elbow and will see Dr. Thomas Mehlhoff in Houston next Tuesday for a second opinion.
Griffin was shut down about five weeks ago due to right flexor tendinitis, an issue which dates back to late last season. He began throwing in the past couple of days, but still doesn’t feel right. These type of injuries are sometimes a precursor to Tommy John surgery, so the Athletics will have to hope that the worst-case scenario is not necessary. They already had Jarrod Parker go under the knife in the spring.
Griffin, 26, owns a 3.60 ERA over his first 47 starts in the majors.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 16
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)