Blogger Murray Chass attacks me for bad reporting, ignores quotes, evidence in doing so

Apr 24, 2014, 11:09 AM EST

Murray Chass

Murray Chass, who actually was the foremost expert in the media regarding baseball labor issues in general and collusion in the 1980s in particular, decided to tear me a new one over at his blog today after I wrote about those potentially collusive statements regarding Stephen Drew and Kendrys Morales a couple of weeks ago. Statements which led to Tony Clark launching an investigation into their source.

When someone told me Chass was on my butt about that I actually got worried. Because, for as silly and crazy as his writings have become over the years, you can’t knock the man’s expertise on labor and collusion. That’s his turf and I was legitimately worried that I made a dumb mistake in my posts on the subject. So, while it’s always the better move to ignore Murray Chass, in this instance I had to go read what he wrote to see how wrong I was!

You’ll be shocked to learn that he’s far more interested in taking me to task for being a blogger and and not a reporter. Which is awesome considering that he himself is a blogger* but we’ll let that slide for a minute. He’s particularly upset that I claimed that Tony Clark is trying to to investigate the source of those quotes about Drew and Morales and that, in doing so, he’s not going to win over any friends in the media:

In the hours before I wrote this column I was looking for something and found something else, one of the dumbest and most ignorant pieces of baseball writing I have read in years. It was a piece by Craig Calcaterra of NBCsports.com.

Calcaterra criticized Tony Clark, the head of the players union, for suggesting that anonymous comments from club executives about free agents Stephen Drew and Kendrys Morales could be a form of collusion . . . With his comments, Clark was not trying to sniff out sources or their identification.

Tony Clark was not trying to sniff out sources, eh? Better tell that to Tony Clark, Murray, because here was his official statement on the matter:

“I am angered that numerous baseball executives have blatantly and intentionally violated our collective bargaining agreement by offering to ESPN comments about free agent values of Stephen Drew and Kendrys Morales. These statements undermine the free agent rights of the players and depress the market values. Today, I have called upon the Commissioner’s office to investigate immediately and thoroughly the sources of these statements and to take appropriate action to enforce our agreement.” [emphasis supplied].

A few days later, Clark sent all registered agents a document retention order, demanding that they keep all records of their contact with reporters regarding Drew and Morales.

I suppose I’m crazy to see those things as Clark “trying to sniff out sources for their identification.” Unfortunately Chass — after lecturing me about ignoring relevant information in my writing — ignores both of those things in reaching his own conclusion on the matter.

Murray, you’re a Hall of Famer, and for all the work that put you there, I respect you. But you have no more business being out there engaging in media criticism than 83-year-old Ernie Banks has being in the Cubs’ lineup against the Diamondbacks this afternoon. Less so, actually. Because while neither Banks nor you are likely to be able to catch up to a fastball these days, at least Banks isn’t blinded by bitterness and rage about not being active anymore.

*I suppose there are many definitions of “blogger,” but the original and in my mind truest definition of the term is one who reads and synthesizes news and opinion on the Internet, forms his or her own opinions about it, links said news and opinions on his or her “web log” — which is where the word “blog” comes from — and talks about what he or she thinks about the matter.

While, today, bloggers such as myself may work for large media organizations like NBC, the original promise of blogging was that it gave people not affiliated with the mainstream media a chance to write and opine about the issues of the day.

In what way Murray Chass does not fit this definition is beyond me. He is a blogger in the purest and truest meaning of the word. In form — he writes a blog from his home in his free time — and in practice — he is using it to attack a writer from a large media organization — Chass is, in fact, the Platonic ideal of a blogger. He is keeping it so real as a blogger, he makes a guy like me — who considers himself a pretty decent blogger — look like some sort of sellout. A piker. Frankly, I’m a tad embarrassed at how much more of a legit blogger Chass is than me sometimes.

So I shall no longer call him The Blogger Murray Chass.” I shall call him “King Blogger Murray Chass, O.G. Pimp Daddy Blogger Par Excellence.”

Latest Posts
  1. Tommy Milone had a benign tumor removed from his neck

Jan 24, 2015, 10:40 PM EST

Tommy Milone Tommy Milone

Tommy Milone underwent neck surgery in December to remove a benign tumor, but he was able to resume throwing just over two weeks later.

2. Twins GM Terry Ryan could see Byron Buxton debuting in 2015

Jan 24, 2015, 9:35 PM EST

Byron Buxton Getty Images

Top prospect Byron Buxton could be wearing a Twins uniform in the major leagues at some point this season according to GM Terry Ryan.

3. Tigers, Al Alburquerque avoid arbitration with a one-year deal

Jan 24, 2015, 8:30 PM EST

Al Alburquerque AP

The Tigers and reliever Al Alburquerque avoided arbitration with a one-year deal on Saturday.

4. Proposed Jonathan Papelbon trade to Brewers is “on life support”

Jan 24, 2015, 7:25 PM EST

Jonathan Papelbon Jonathan Papelbon

A Jonathan Papelbon trade to the Brewers may not be happening after all.

5. Mariners considering bringing back Franklin Gutierrez

Jan 24, 2015, 6:20 PM EST

Franklin Gutierrez Getty Images

Franklin Gutierrez could make a return to the Mariners. The 31-year-old outfielder has had trouble staying healthy over the last few years.

6. Twins and Brian Duensing agree to one-year deal to avoid arbitration

Jan 24, 2015, 5:28 PM EST

Brian Duensing Getty Getty Images

Duensing he has been useful and durable as a middle reliever over the past two seasons, posting a 3.67 ERA (110 ERA+) in 115 1/3 innings over 135 appearances.

7. Report: Brandon Beachy has decided on a team

Jan 24, 2015, 4:53 PM EST

Brandon Beachy AP

Beachy is currently making his way back from his second Tommy John surgery.

8. Report: More than 200 scouts attended recent workout for Cuban infielder Hector Olivera

Jan 24, 2015, 4:01 PM EST

Hector Olivera Getty Getty Images

The Giants, Padres, Rangers, Braves, and Yankees are among the teams showing strong interest in Olivera.

9. 1953 scouting report for Ernie Banks

Jan 24, 2015, 3:15 PM EST

Ernie Banks AP AP

Check out this scouting report from when Banks was 22 years old.

10. Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks

Jan 24, 2015, 2:40 PM EST

MLB Photos Archive

From the start, even in those turbulent times, even though Chicago was finding its way in a changing America, people in Chicago did not see the color of his skin. From the start, Chicago loved Ernie Banks.

11. Ryan Vogelsong “really wasn’t comfortable with what was going on” with Astros before returning to Giants

Jan 24, 2015, 2:16 PM EST

vogelsong getty Getty Images

Did something strange happen between Ryan Vogelsong and the Astros which led to his return to the Giants?

12. Vince Coleman joining White Sox staff to help with baserunning

Jan 24, 2015, 1:11 PM EST

Vince Coleman Getty Getty Images

Coleman, who ranks sixth on MLB’s all-time list with 752 stolen bases, spent last the two seasons as a minor league outfield/baserunning coach with the Astros.

13. Athletics and Fernando Abad avoid arbitration with one-year deal

Jan 24, 2015, 12:05 PM EST

Fernando Abad AP AP

Abad, 29, posted an excellent 1.57 ERA and 51/15 K/BB ratio across 57 1/3 innings out of Oakland’s bullpen in 2014.

14. What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks

Jan 24, 2015, 11:11 AM EST

Ernie Banks AP AP

Reactions from a baseball world in mourning after the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks.

15. Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred

Jan 24, 2015, 10:02 AM EST

Alex Rodriguez AP AP

With Rob Manfred set to take over for Bud Selig as MLB commissioner on Sunday, Alex Rodriguez recently paid him a visit in an attempt to clear the air and turn the page on the drama surrounding the Biogenesis scandal.

16. Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83

Jan 23, 2015, 11:15 PM EST

Ernie Banks

There was only one Mr. Cub. And he was one of the greatest men in baseball history.

17. Indians showing interest in Nolan Reimold

Jan 23, 2015, 10:55 PM EST

Nolan Reimold Nolan Reimold

The Indians are considering bringing Nolan Reimold on board.

18. Astros, Marwin Gonzalez avoid arbitration with a one-year contract

Jan 23, 2015, 9:50 PM EST

The Astros and utilityman Marwin Gonzalez avoided arbitration on Friday.

19. Braves claim Eury Perez off waivers from the Yankees

Jan 23, 2015, 8:45 PM EST

Eury Perez Eury Perez

The Braves added some outfield depth on Friday, claiming Eury Perez off waivers from the Yankees.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester