Apr 24, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
Padres third baseman Chase Headley is off to a slow start in his walk year and now he has another injury to deal with, as Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that he left tonight’s game against the Nationals with a right calf strain. He appeared to tweak it on a swing in the second inning.
It’s a concerning development, as Headley missed a month during spring training with the very same injury. As such, a trip to the disabled list would not be surprising.
Headley, 29, is batting just .186 (13-for-70) with two home runs and seven RBI through 20 games this season. He has been playing through right biceps and left knee soreness.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 36
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 44
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 19
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)