Apr 24, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
Padres third baseman Chase Headley is off to a slow start in his walk year and now he has another injury to deal with, as Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that he left tonight’s game against the Nationals with a right calf strain. He appeared to tweak it on a swing in the second inning.
It’s a concerning development, as Headley missed a month during spring training with the very same injury. As such, a trip to the disabled list would not be surprising.
Headley, 29, is batting just .186 (13-for-70) with two home runs and seven RBI through 20 games this season. He has been playing through right biceps and left knee soreness.
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 20
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (110)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)