Cole Hamels wasn’t too pleased at being pulled after 86 pitches

Apr 24, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-04-24 at 9.10.22 AM AP

Cole Hamels made his 2014 debut last night in Los Angeles and he pitched well, allowing two runs over six innings and tossing 86 pitches. Then Ryne Sandberg pulled him from the game. The problem: the Phillies’ bullpen sucks and last night they sucked again, allowing three runs.

Another problem: after the game Hamels waxed something less-than-enthusiastic about Sandberg’s decision to yank him. Here’s Jim Salisbury from CSNPhilly.com:

Hamels appeared mystified and possibly a little miffed at the early hook. He admitted to being surprised that he didn’t go out for the seventh inning.

“I had plenty left in the tank,” Hamels said. “But I don’t make the decisions. I just have to go out there and pitch and try to be competitive and keep the team in the ballgame.

“They make the decision. They have a scheme, a plan of what they want to do and all I can do is go out there one pitch at a time and see how far I can go, how far they’ll let me.”

Hamels was not aware of any restrictions on his workload.

Hamels added that he had pitched 100-105 pitches in rehab starts, so why 86 now? Especially given a tight game and that bullpen. And Sandberg’s comments don’t seem all that compelling. He said Hamels “did his job” and that it was “his first time out” despite earlier saying that Hamels is under no restrictions.

Anyone else get this? Because I sure don’t.

1. greymares - Apr 24, 2014 at 9:22 AM

I agree with Cole the guy was pitching well still throwing 92/93 not elevating pitches. He was stretched out with his minor league outings and deserved to continue. This was a case of over managing and may have caused the loss you play the game differently with a different score.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 24, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Possibly. Possibly not. Maybe the game goes to extras and we lose in the 10th or 11th.

2. alexo0 - Apr 24, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Sandberg’s comments really mean “I’m the manager, you’re not. Don’t ever question me”.

3. rollinghighwayblues - Apr 24, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Have I heard one positive thing about Sandberg managing yet? It seems that all his players more than dislike his ways.

• zengreaser - Apr 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Everyone in that clubhouse loved Charlie Manuel. And where did that get them the past few seasons? Who cares if they like him or not (which, by the way, is a total unknown outside of his clash with Rollins). He’s overseeing a team that is actually playing better than they have in a couple years. That’s all that matters.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 24, 2014 at 10:50 AM

The team has shown better plate discipline so far (though it’s tapering off). How much of that is the players and how much of that is Sandberg with a giant street-light perched on the dugout rails is open to debate.

4. DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 24, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Rookie manager choked in the clutch.

Heckuva job, Ryne-y

5. zengreaser - Apr 24, 2014 at 10:03 AM

I’ve been pretty happy with the job Sandberg has done so far. Definitely think it was a mistake to pull Cole so early, but it’s still April so I can’t get on him too much for erring on the side of caution. Can’t be taking this approach for much longer though.

6. deep64blue - Apr 24, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Absolutely the right decision, pitches in the Majors are much more stressful than a rehab start, and we’re going nowhere this year. Good job by the Manager looking to the long term.

• vivabear - Apr 24, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Exactly. He’s coming back from biceps tendonitis; why push it and risk making it flare up again? I don’t see any problem with Cole wanting to stay out there, he’s a competitor.

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Would one more inning of Cole guaranteed the outcome of this game? I don’t think so. It is a long season. No need to push too hard his first start

8. eagles512 - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:34 AM

I like Hamels and admit the pen is a joke but he did walk the pitcher leading to the go ahead run. Maybe they thought that was a sign he was wearing down.

9. igglefan - Apr 24, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Hey Hamels, relax. It is your first start of the season.

Moreover, you don’t anything bad to happen like to Craig’s team…..like Tommy John surgery, etc, do you? If it does, I am sure Craig can get list of physicians from the Braves.

10. mikey2ct - Apr 25, 2014 at 8:45 AM

I don’t agree with Ryneberg’s decision but don’t agree that he is over-managing either. I think he is being protective of a valuable club asset – Cole’s arm.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win