Apr 24, 2014, 4:48 PM EDT
Yankees right-hander Ivan Nova has decided to undergo Tommy John elbow surgery after a second opinion agreed with the initial diagnosis of a torn ulnar collateral ligament. He’ll go under the knife Tuesday, with Dr. James Andrews doing the honors.
He’ll miss the remainder of this season and likely some of 2015 as well. Nova is making $3.3 million this year and he’s arbitration eligible again next season, so the Yankees could decide to tender him a contract and pay similar money hoping he can make a second-half impact. He’d also still be under team control in 2016.
Nova was terrible before being shut down, allowing 19 runs in 21 innings, but he was very effective last season with a 3.10 ERA in 139 innings and is still just 27 years old.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)