Apr 24, 2014, 4:48 PM EDT
Yankees right-hander Ivan Nova has decided to undergo Tommy John elbow surgery after a second opinion agreed with the initial diagnosis of a torn ulnar collateral ligament. He’ll go under the knife Tuesday, with Dr. James Andrews doing the honors.
He’ll miss the remainder of this season and likely some of 2015 as well. Nova is making $3.3 million this year and he’s arbitration eligible again next season, so the Yankees could decide to tender him a contract and pay similar money hoping he can make a second-half impact. He’d also still be under team control in 2016.
Nova was terrible before being shut down, allowing 19 runs in 21 innings, but he was very effective last season with a 3.10 ERA in 139 innings and is still just 27 years old.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 27
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 54
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)