Apr 24, 2014, 4:48 PM EDT
Yankees right-hander Ivan Nova has decided to undergo Tommy John elbow surgery after a second opinion agreed with the initial diagnosis of a torn ulnar collateral ligament. He’ll go under the knife Tuesday, with Dr. James Andrews doing the honors.
He’ll miss the remainder of this season and likely some of 2015 as well. Nova is making $3.3 million this year and he’s arbitration eligible again next season, so the Yankees could decide to tender him a contract and pay similar money hoping he can make a second-half impact. He’d also still be under team control in 2016.
Nova was terrible before being shut down, allowing 19 runs in 21 innings, but he was very effective last season with a 3.10 ERA in 139 innings and is still just 27 years old.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 2
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 24
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)