Justin Ruggiano out 3-4 weeks with hamstring injury

Apr 24, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

Justin Ruggiano Cubs AP

Cubs outfielder Justin Ruggiano has been placed on the disabled list after injuring his hamstring trying to chase down a fly ball in yesterday’s loss to the Diamondbacks.

Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports that Ruggiano has a Grade 2 strain–he described hearing a “pop” at the time of the injury–which likely means at least 3-4 weeks on the sidelines.

Acquired from the Marlins during the offseason, Ruggiano hit just .229 with one homer and a .651 OPS in 14 games. He played mostly versus left-handed pitchers in a platoon pairing with Nate Schierholtz in right field.

1. makinflowers - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Maybe Nick Schieriholtz can platoon with his brother Nate.

• Old Gator - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I saw an episode of Platoon the other night on cable.

Saigon
      Was all gone
      The same coke machines
      As the streets I grew on….

2. Old Gator - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Hamstring injuries often occur within a few weeks of becoming infected with the prion-vectored Indonesian neurological disease die Vloek van der Geitbok, much the way back acne follows being gazed upon by Murray Chass or eating chocolate. Ruggiano can profitably utilize his downtime by learning to play Ouija Scrabble, a hobby which will also serve him well during the orfseason which, as a Cub, will begin at the end of September.

3. 1harrypairatesties - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:58 AM

It’s NATE Schierholtz not Nick. How are we supposed to take these people who write these articles serious when they don’t have the knowledge to even understand who or what they’re writing about. Get a clue Aaron!

4. 1harrypairatesties - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:14 PM

(Now he changes it to Nate after it was pointed out by 2 readers.)

• Wesley Clark - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:56 PM

As opposed to not changing it? No satisfying some people.

• jerze2387 - Apr 24, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Pretty soon theyll demand you change it to Will Clark,

• Wesley Clark - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Growing up I was a Cubs fan. My brother was a Giants fan for some reason (We grew up in Florida so I have no idea how he became a Giants fan, I can always blame WGN). We were both jacked about the 1989 playoffs. I still hate Will Clark for what he did to my Cubbies in that series.

5. nymets4ever - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Hey Aaron, the only famous Nate and Nick brothers are Nate and Nick Diaz from the UFC.

6. Wesley Clark - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Tough break for Justin. The only upshot is that this should mean more playing time for Kalish/Lake. Hope he makes a speedy recovery but hamstring issues usually linger. .

7. 1harrypairatesties - Apr 24, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I demand he change it to Addison Clark. I’m a Cubs fan too. That’s why I felt the need to correct the writer. Everyone deserves to be called by their correct name especially a professional athlete when his name is in the news. Wouldn’t you want to correct someone if they mentioned Will Clark as let’s say Bill Clark?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3318)