Apr 24, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
Manny Machado‘s road back from knee surgery is almost complete.
Machado is expected to begin a minor league rehab assignment tomorrow with High-A Frederick, but Eddie A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun hears that the Orioles are projecting a possible return during their three-game series against the Twins next weekend in Minnesota.
This is a tentative plan, as the Orioles still want to see how Machado responds to playing three games with Frederick. If all goes well, he’ll likely move have one final test in Double-A or Triple-A before joining the big club.
Position players are permitted to spend up to 21 days on a minor league rehab assignment, but Machado has already logged more than 30 at-bats between simulated and extended spring training games. Assuming no issues with his surgically-repaired right knee, he shouldn’t need much time to shake the rust.
Machado, 21, batted .283/.314/.432 with 14 home runs, 51 doubles, and 71 RBI in 156 games last season prior to tearing the medial patellofemoral ligament in his left knee in late September. He won his first Gold Glove Award after the season for his excellent defense at the hot corner. The Orioles are hoping that the best is yet to come.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 0
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 1
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 22
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (96)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)