Apr 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
This is all kinds of fun. The New York Times has a map which breaks down baseball fandom by county. The methodology isn’t exactly science — it finds out the percentage of people who list a given team as their favorite in Facebook profiles by county — but it is kind of fun.
My county is about as perfectly represented as intuition would have it: an even split between Indians and Reds fans, with a healthy dollop of Yankees fans too. That Yankees part is attributale to the longtime affiliation of the Columbus Clippers with the Yankees, the fact that — and I should write about this some other time — there are still a handful of random, clinging-on minority owners from the original Steinbrenner purchase of the Yankees here in Columbus and because, well, frontrunning fans will be frontrunners.
Anyway, have a ball.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)