Apr 24, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
According to Rachel Axon of USA Today, a woman who says she was raped by Reds pitcher Alfredo Simon filed a multi-million dollar civil lawsuit today in Washington, D.C.
The alleged sexual assault occurred last April while the Reds were in Washington D.C. for a four-game series against the Nationals. The lawsuit claims that the victim met Simon at an area nightclub and was taken back to his hotel room despite being “visibly intoxicated” and unable to consent. Details of the case are very graphic, but the woman claims that Simon’s behavior changed from “a romantic encounter to a terrifying physical attack.” She reported the incident to D.C. Metro Police four days later, but the U.S. Attorney’s Office did not pursue charges on Simon. The woman is now seeking $5 million in compensatory damages and $10 million in punitive damages.
When reached for comment by USA Today Sports, Simon’s agent, Adam Katz, declined to comment specifically on the case and called it “an ongoing legal matter.”
Simon faced manslaughter charges in the shooting death of a 25-year-old man in his native Dominican Republic in 2011. The 32-year-old spent three months in jail during the investigation, but he was eventually acquitted after witnesses said that he did not fire the fatal shot.
- Carlos Carrasco has a no-hitter through eight vs. the Rays 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 7
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 30
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 69
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)