Apr 24, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
According to Rachel Axon of USA Today, a woman who says she was raped by Reds pitcher Alfredo Simon filed a multi-million dollar civil lawsuit today in Washington, D.C.
The alleged sexual assault occurred last April while the Reds were in Washington D.C. for a four-game series against the Nationals. The lawsuit claims that the victim met Simon at an area nightclub and was taken back to his hotel room despite being “visibly intoxicated” and unable to consent. Details of the case are very graphic, but the woman claims that Simon’s behavior changed from “a romantic encounter to a terrifying physical attack.” She reported the incident to D.C. Metro Police four days later, but the U.S. Attorney’s Office did not pursue charges on Simon. The woman is now seeking $5 million in compensatory damages and $10 million in punitive damages.
When reached for comment by USA Today Sports, Simon’s agent, Adam Katz, declined to comment specifically on the case and called it “an ongoing legal matter.”
Simon faced manslaughter charges in the shooting death of a 25-year-old man in his native Dominican Republic in 2011. The 32-year-old spent three months in jail during the investigation, but he was eventually acquitted after witnesses said that he did not fire the fatal shot.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 16
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)