Apr 24, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
According to Rachel Axon of USA Today, a woman who says she was raped by Reds pitcher Alfredo Simon filed a multi-million dollar civil lawsuit today in Washington, D.C.
The alleged sexual assault occurred last April while the Reds were in Washington D.C. for a four-game series against the Nationals. The lawsuit claims that the victim met Simon at an area nightclub and was taken back to his hotel room despite being “visibly intoxicated” and unable to consent. Details of the case are very graphic, but the woman claims that Simon’s behavior changed from “a romantic encounter to a terrifying physical attack.” She reported the incident to D.C. Metro Police four days later, but the U.S. Attorney’s Office did not pursue charges on Simon. The woman is now seeking $5 million in compensatory damages and $10 million in punitive damages.
When reached for comment by USA Today Sports, Simon’s agent, Adam Katz, declined to comment specifically on the case and called it “an ongoing legal matter.”
Simon faced manslaughter charges in the shooting death of a 25-year-old man in his native Dominican Republic in 2011. The 32-year-old spent three months in jail during the investigation, but he was eventually acquitted after witnesses said that he did not fire the fatal shot.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20