Apr 24, 2014, 6:14 PM EST
After getting by without him for the first 22 games of the season, the Red Sox have activated outfielder Shane Victorino from the 15-day disabled list. He’s in the starting lineup for tonight’s series finale against the Yankees at Fenway Park.
Victorino has been sidelined since late in spring training with a Grade 1 strain of his right hamstring. His return was delayed due to a brief bout of the flu, but he made it through three minor league rehab games without incident.
Victorino will bat second tonight against CC Sabathia while Dustin Pedroia hits leadoff. Boston’s lineup has been in a state of flux early on this season, but Red Sox manager John Farrell told Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal this afternoon that he hopes to stick with this arrangement for the near future.
I’d like to think we’d take the current lineup and run with it for a while,” Boston manager John Farrell said. ”Hopefully with Pedey and Vic at the top of the order, the on-base will be there at a consistent rate. I think stability is what this team is in need of right now.”
Now that Daniel Nava is in the minors, the Red Sox will move ahead with a platoon of Grady Sizemore and Jonny Gomes in left field. Not surprisingly, Gomes is making the start tonight with Sabathia on the hill.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)