Apr 24, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Daisuke Matsuzaka has made three relief appearances for the Mets since shifting to the bullpen and he’s been not terrible in them with one run allowed and seven strikeouts in 4.1 innings, so naturally manager Terry Collins is now talking him up as a potential closer.
Matsuzaka has a combined 5.36 ERA in six seasons since a strong 2008 for the Red Sox, but Collins told Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star Ledger there’s “no question about it” when asked if the 33-year-old right-hander has what it takes to thrive in the closer role.
Collins also said:
The adjustments he made at the end of the season, those walks went away. The command of all his pitches got much better. We saw that this spring.
To which I’d say … we’ll see. Matsuzaka has been bad enough for long enough that a few good relief outings should hardly convince anyone that he’s turned the corner into a valuable bullpen asset. And while Collins says “those walks went away” Matsuzaka has actually walked eight batters in 16 innings this season between Triple-A and the majors.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Thursday evening MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 5
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (250)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)