Apr 24, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Daisuke Matsuzaka has made three relief appearances for the Mets since shifting to the bullpen and he’s been not terrible in them with one run allowed and seven strikeouts in 4.1 innings, so naturally manager Terry Collins is now talking him up as a potential closer.
Matsuzaka has a combined 5.36 ERA in six seasons since a strong 2008 for the Red Sox, but Collins told Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star Ledger there’s “no question about it” when asked if the 33-year-old right-hander has what it takes to thrive in the closer role.
Collins also said:
The adjustments he made at the end of the season, those walks went away. The command of all his pitches got much better. We saw that this spring.
To which I’d say … we’ll see. Matsuzaka has been bad enough for long enough that a few good relief outings should hardly convince anyone that he’s turned the corner into a valuable bullpen asset. And while Collins says “those walks went away” Matsuzaka has actually walked eight batters in 16 innings this season between Triple-A and the majors.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Thursday evening MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 377
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)