Wanna buy a $14,000 baseball glove?

Apr 24, 2014, 11:37 AM EST

Money Bag

And the kicker here is that it’s not that expensive due it to being worn by Mickey Mantle or autographed by Satchel Paige. It’s $14,100 because, well, it has the Hermès name on it and rich people may buy this crap. From the Marketwatch story in which I found this atrocity:

What makes the glove so expensive? Begin with the “absolutely top-grade” France-sourced leather, Chavez explains. (Hermès refers to it as “gold swift calfskin” leather, though there’s no actual gold involved.) Then factor in the hand-stitching and construction. “It takes 25 hours for one person to make this glove,” Chavez adds. Plus, there’s the Hermès name, which carries a certain cachet.

As Marketwatch notes, major leaguers’ gloves usually cost around $200 and rarely over $500. You can get a nice glove at a sporting goods store far cheaper than that.

If you buy this thing, you are essentially buying a ticket to be the first one against the wall when the revolution comes.

(Thanks to Gary Hagen for the heads up)

1. dirtyharry1971mom - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Bought this for myself, had to use it to bail my son out of jail.

• nbjays - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:40 PM

You wasted your money. He was better off in jail.

2. anotheryx - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Everyone should get one! How else would you catch gold nuggets dropping from the sky?

3. cohnjusack - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:46 AM

This is kind of a f**k you to poor people isn’t it?

“Sorry your mom can’t afford your asthma medication Johnny. But look at this sweet glove I just spent $14,000 on! What was that Johnny? I couldn’t hear you over your wheezing. Oh, what am I going to do with the glove? Well, I guess display it and tell people who come over that I spent $14,000 on it because what on Earth else would I do with it? “

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:37 PM

can’t afford kids? don’t have kids.

• cohnjusack - Apr 24, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Totally reasonable, wholly realistic comment. Especially considering my hypothetic kid had no choice in the matter.

Here’s one for you! My impoverished parents had 7 kids and were on welfare. What do those 9 kids do now?

1 Farmer
        1 Physicist
        1 Software Developer
        1 Executive at Chase
        1 Higher Ed Administrator
        3(!) Teachers

Man, what a drain on society we all turned out to be!

And let me say, as a senior software developer in NYC, I very likely make far more money than you. It annoys the hell out of me that you get to drive on the roads that more of my tax dollars pay for. More of my money goes to pay for your national defense, etc. Probably would have been best that you had never been born since you are such a drain on my taxes.

• cohnjusack - Apr 24, 2014 at 4:53 PM

*A’hem, that *8* children. Fortunately, my job doesn’t require extreme accuracy when typing or anything…

• Reflex - Apr 24, 2014 at 6:37 PM

cohnjusack – As a senior software QA engineer you really should have got signoff from my team first. I mean going straight to production was very Agile of you and all, but the result was straight out of the Waterfall playbook. Next time lets build some automated tests into the post before pushing it to prod.

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 24, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Umm, is anyone being forced to buy this or penalized for not buying it?

It seems like more of a sucker’s purchase, if anything.

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Apr 24, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Wow, you really went “I make more money than you” argument?
      My big brother can beat up your big brother.

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Apr 24, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Wait, wait, wait….

“My impoverished parents had 7 kids and were on welfare. What do those 9 kids do now?”

Your scumbag welfare parents had 7 kids, and you ask what did the 9 kids today?

and you have 3 of them as teachers!!!!!!! Hope their not math teachers!!!!!

4. jwbiii - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Looks a lot like a Wilson A2000 DP to me.

• cohnjusack - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:58 AM

$230 dollars?!?! I mean, sure, I get to have a nice glove, but it’s not worth owning a glove if I can’t rub it my excess in the face of the financially indigent.

5. hk62 - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Was going to say that the best gloves are made by BOOT companies and not PURSE companies, but cohnjusack went a little, redistribution of wealth on us. I agree that a $14,000 glove is ridiculous, just like a $1,500 toilet is ridiculous – but if someone wants to spend THEIR money on it, its really none of my business – is it?

Regarding the Hermes glove (I don’t have an accented e key that I know of), its the logo and not the hand stitching that is the price driver (all custom/major league gloves are hand stitched). I have no idea how “gold swift calfskin” compares to the optimal leather for products that are made to take some serious abuse, but I’m betting its great for making handbags (which do not get serious abuse).

To me though, the most surprising thing is that someone at Hermes thought it would be a good idea to make and sell a baseball glove – because their normal customer base is so full of baseball players – right?

• cohnjusack - Apr 24, 2014 at 4:54 PM

, but cohnjusack went a little, redistribution of wealth on us.

joke
      jōk
      noun
      a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.

6. rocketsteadman - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:01 PM

You had me at $14,000. But once I saw the actual price was $14,100 I had to decline.

• kopy - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:39 PM

And FedEx Ground Shipping to Minnesota is $35!

How about a bat for $1,925? Not sure how a gold swift calfskin handle will hold up to pine tar.

• fleaman1381 - Apr 24, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Not even an option for lefties that I could find.

7. pauleee - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Geez, what an ugly looking glove.

8. pauleee - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Also, 25 hours to make the glove. Even if you paid that person $100/hr (!), that’s a hell of a mark up. Anybody know if Hermes used third-world sweatshops for labor?

• raysfan1 - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Cost equates to $560/hr, so yep, even if the person who did all the work was paid $100/hr, it is indeed a helluva mark up.

9. yahmule - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I bought a beat down old Andre Dawson glove off eBay for 25 bucks. I’m going to cut it down and make a wallet out of it.

10. fleaman1381 - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:19 PM

My $30 Mizuno I bought in high school still works today. $14,000 for a glove? Even if I could afford it and for some reason bought it, I’d be afraid to use it… Even the $200-$300 gloves are too much.

• yahmule - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:38 PM

I had a $30 Mizuno back in high school, too. Had Andre Dawson sign it before a Dodger game. Basically just flung it at his chest and hoped for the best. My cousin lost my equipment bag (with glove inside) over 30 years ago. He will die unforgiven.

• fleaman1381 - Apr 24, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Your story actually made me tear up a little… I’m so sorry.

But I have to ask… Were you still using the glove?!

• yahmule - Apr 24, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Yeah, I was only a couple years out of high school and running down fly balls was one of the very few things I was ever really good at athletically.

11. papalurchdxb - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Just out of interest – leather handles on the bat – that will be allowed in rec-leagues, right? http://usa.hermes.com/house/sports/felt-and-leather-stole/homerun-baseball-bat-41826.html

12. adross47 - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:34 PM

I would trade my mailbag that belonged to Son of Sam and screen legend Anthony Quinn’s undershirt for it

13. papalurchdxb - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:40 PM

You know who would buy this? Emiratis. I kid you not – this happened – http://www.emirates247.com/business/technology/25-buy-tvs-for-dh600-000-each-at-gitex-shopper-2014-04-24-1.546891 – I think MLB should use it as a marketing tool! these fools will spend their money on anything if it’s expensive & ‘exclusive’ enough.

Anyone want to write that agency/commission agreement for me?

14. unclemosesgreen - Apr 24, 2014 at 12:59 PM

The pocket is specially shaped so that you can have a nice civilized game of catch with Fabergé eggs.

15. senioreditor2 - Apr 24, 2014 at 1:30 PM

It will be worth $25,000 in a few years, especially if very few are made……………..

16. Caught Looking - Apr 24, 2014 at 1:48 PM

A baseball glove for the one percenters who don’t even know how to catch or throw.

17. cktai - Apr 24, 2014 at 2:34 PM

$14000!?! That is way too expensive, you can buy a chess set, a poker box and 5 sets of cards for that kind of money….

18. anxovies - Apr 24, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité! The first thing we do, let’s kill all the Hermes owners!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4706)