Apr 24, 2014, 11:37 AM EST
And the kicker here is that it’s not that expensive due it to being worn by Mickey Mantle or autographed by Satchel Paige. It’s $14,100 because, well, it has the Hermès name on it and rich people may buy this crap. From the Marketwatch story in which I found this atrocity:
What makes the glove so expensive? Begin with the “absolutely top-grade” France-sourced leather, Chavez explains. (Hermès refers to it as “gold swift calfskin” leather, though there’s no actual gold involved.) Then factor in the hand-stitching and construction. “It takes 25 hours for one person to make this glove,” Chavez adds. Plus, there’s the Hermès name, which carries a certain cachet.
As Marketwatch notes, major leaguers’ gloves usually cost around $200 and rarely over $500. You can get a nice glove at a sporting goods store far cheaper than that.
If you buy this thing, you are essentially buying a ticket to be the first one against the wall when the revolution comes.
(Thanks to Gary Hagen for the heads up)
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (93)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)