Apr 24, 2014, 11:37 AM EDT
And the kicker here is that it’s not that expensive due it to being worn by Mickey Mantle or autographed by Satchel Paige. It’s $14,100 because, well, it has the Hermès name on it and rich people may buy this crap. From the Marketwatch story in which I found this atrocity:
What makes the glove so expensive? Begin with the “absolutely top-grade” France-sourced leather, Chavez explains. (Hermès refers to it as “gold swift calfskin” leather, though there’s no actual gold involved.) Then factor in the hand-stitching and construction. “It takes 25 hours for one person to make this glove,” Chavez adds. Plus, there’s the Hermès name, which carries a certain cachet.
As Marketwatch notes, major leaguers’ gloves usually cost around $200 and rarely over $500. You can get a nice glove at a sporting goods store far cheaper than that.
If you buy this thing, you are essentially buying a ticket to be the first one against the wall when the revolution comes.
(Thanks to Gary Hagen for the heads up)
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)