Apr 25, 2014, 10:05 PM EST
Not a good night to be a talented player. Chris Davis (link) and Devin Mesoraco (link) both exited games tonight with injuries of their own and now Bryce Harper has added his name to the list. James Wagner of the Washington Post reports that the Nationals’ outfielder injured his wrist diving head-first into third base, completing a bases-clearing triple in the third inning against the Padres.
Wagner writes that Harper grimaced and grabbed at his left wrist, but stayed in the game initially. He did not take his position for the top of the fifth inning, however, as he was replaced by Nate McLouth. The severity of the injury isn’t yet known, as the Nationals will evaluate him further.
Harper hasn’t yet gotten started with the bat, slashing .272/.337/.383 in 89 plate appearances entering Friday’s game. He had made headlines recently for a lack of hustle, but it appears that his all-out style of play has once again led to an injury. Harper suffered a knee injury in May last season crashing into the wall at Dodger Stadium, and it lingered throughout the season.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 63
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)