Jerome Williams did a really nice, sweet thing and made a kid’s day

Apr 25, 2014, 3:45 PM EST

This is just adorable.

Earlier this week before a Astros-Mariners game Houston right-hander Jerome Williams played catch with a young fan in Seattle, goofing around and generally making the kid’s day/week/month/year.

And it was captured on video:

A few minutes out of Williams’ life probably equals the kid telling that story 1,000 times and never forgetting it. Pretty cool.

1. stlouis1baseball - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Good work Jerome! You gave that kid a memory that will last the rest of his life. Well done!

2. thomas844 - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:50 PM

So awesome! He seems like a genuinely great guy.

3. rednuthatch - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:51 PM

I don’t know who Jerome Williams is, but I love him.
    Fantastic thing to do for a kid.

4. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Jerome Williams is just celebrating the revocation of the transfer rule. That second toss would have been an error…

5. stabonerichard - Apr 25, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Awesome indeed.

But watching the kid lean over the rail to catch a couple of those tosses, am I the only one who couldn’t help but think of the Josh Hamilton incident?

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 25, 2014 at 5:21 PM

I am with you Richard. Thought the same thing.

6. huskerguy - Apr 25, 2014 at 4:27 PM

One of the cool things baseball can do no other sport can.

• asimonetti88 - Apr 25, 2014 at 6:12 PM

You mean Ray Lewis playing tackle with a kid wouldn’t have the same charm?

• infieldhit - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:11 PM

There was the time Toronto mayor Rob Ford made penalty kicks on some kid goalie. Twice.

• scatterbrian - Apr 25, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Getting posterized by Blake Griffin would be pretty sweet.

• scatterbrian - Apr 25, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Actually, I take that back. I’m pretty short, so the aesthetics of a posterization might be less than ideal.

7. jrbdmb - Apr 25, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Total lack of hustle and grit on that third toss. :)

Nice moments captured there.

8. crackersnap - Apr 25, 2014 at 4:44 PM

That is totally awesome.

When I was about 8, this same thing happened between my little brother in the seat next to me, and manager Bill Rigney. It happened over the home dugout before a weekend afternoon game. 50 years later I can still smell the grass, and the stadium, of that moment. So, yeah, a lifetime memory was made here by Williams!

9. deminizer - Apr 25, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Fantastic. It’s nice to know there are still some decent guys in the game.

• infieldhit - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Well, I’d like to think the vast majority of them are actually decent people.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Indeed, Hit, I prefer to think that the bad apples among athletes are akin to vehicle crashes: They make big news while all the planes, trains and automobiles that get there safely get little notice.

10. mholden10 - Apr 25, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Dave Collins, when he was with the Oakland A’s in 1985 did this same thing with me. I’ll never forget it. At first, I thought cool a ball! Then he said throw it back. So, dishearteningly I had to throw it back thinking, ‘darn it’. Then he threw it again? And, low and behold, a game a catch started. This was battling practice and everyone was watching, it was a great experience for a kid. More players should do it.

11. moogro - Apr 25, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Good thing the kid didn’t fall.

1. E. Cabrera (2550)