Let’s watch 19-year-old Greg Maddux pitch and ask ourselves weird ethical questions

Apr 25, 2014, 8:36 AM EDT

Greg Maddux

So, this may be weird for a minute. But bear with me.

I started dating my now ex-wife when we were 17. Back when we were 17 I took a picture of her out at a park or wherever and it was a good picture. She looked lovely in it and, for a few years, I had the picture in a frame on my dresser. Took it with me to college and stuff and kept it on my desk. If someone asked about my girlfriend I’d show them the picture because she looked lovely and I wanted to brag a little. I think everyone has done that with a picture of a significant other at some point.

As I got older and we got married and things, other pictures replaced that one and it was forgotten for a time. Then when I was, I dunno, 35, I found it in a box and looked at it. Of course she still looked lovely in it, but dude, she was 17 in it and I was 35 and there is something weird and wrong about a 35-year-old dude getting all moon-eyed and swoony at a picture of a 17-year-old, even if you took it when you were 17 and you were still with her now. Just an odd ethical area in some weird ways, right?

I never really reconciled how to feel about that and, thankfully, we’re now divorced, I don’t have that picture anymore and I will never again have to ask myself that question because the women I meet from here on out and get moon-eyed and swoony over will at least be in their 30s.

What made me think of all of that was going over to SB Nation this morning and seeing video of a 19-year-old Greg Maddux pitching in a minor league game. Obviously watching your man-crush when he was a teenager doesn’t raise quite the same ethical questions as looking at your teenaged girlfriend, but I feel like it’s almost in the same area code. It certainly stirs feelings inside of me that I don’t know quite what to do with because, well, I’m really damn weird when it comes to Greg Maddux.

Anyway, watch it yourself. And keep an eye out for Rafael Palmeiro and Dante Bichette too. And no, you may not see pictures of my ex-wife when she was 17. That’s way worse for you than it is for me:

1. rollinghighwayblues - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:22 AM

This may be my favorite comments section ever. Everyone piling on Craig on a Friday morning, can’t beat it with a stick.

2. areyesrn - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:23 AM

wow…Greg Maddux’ delivery is WAY different…

• djpostl - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Lol, he is pulling wayyyy off to 1B side. Not landing in perfect fielding position like we are so used to.

Lots of that late breaking, downward movement

3. hunnymoney - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Dr. Phil couldn’t help you a$$ pal…

4. temporarilyexiled - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:33 AM

So Craig, now that the kids are pretty much grown, I’m back playing music in places other than just in my living room. And the majority of the musicians I hear and play with are young enough to be my kids, or even…le gasp…grandkids. I haven’t lost the torch for those who’ve inspired me and/or I’ve played with (before electric light was invented). I’ve just grown to admire the new crop of whippersnappers at the same time. Find the people that’ll bring back into your life what you’re missing…and by doing so…spare us another one or more of these type of posts.

5. El Bravo - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Craig is totes doin’ it wrong:

6. tbird05 - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:37 AM

I get the obsession with a pitcher as good as Greg Maddux, but what I don’t get it this…How did I ever watch TV back then? That picture was TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!

7. The Common Man - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:52 AM

You people are all insane. Except for tbird, who is right. TV back then looked awful.

8. thepancakebandit - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Craig, Chris Hansen is here.

He’d like you to have a seat and talk to him for a minute.

• rollinghighwayblues - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Craig’s just here to tell the kid not to talk to strangers via internet and to stay in school. Nothing to see here.

• timmmah10 - Apr 25, 2014 at 12:59 PM

If that’s true why does he have two bottles of Boone’s Farm and a box full of condoms?

9. thepancakebandit - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:57 AM

10. phillyphil005 - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:21 AM

What the hell just happened here?

11. CM Diaz - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Hey brother… have you considered therapy?

12. sportsdad61 - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM

I wonder how many of the guys he was facing that never made it any further watch this and show it to their kids and say watch daddy hit against one of the greatest pitchers of all time.

13. dogfromduckhunt - Apr 25, 2014 at 12:05 PM

This article is going to be used as evidence in court someday.

14. theroc5156 - Apr 25, 2014 at 12:32 PM

So I shouldn’t feel bad for having a tiny crush on Ariana Grande, even though I’m 38?

• timmmah10 - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:00 PM

I think you missed Craig’s point… lol…

15. Francisco (FC) - Apr 25, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Now imagine you’re a 75 year old getting swoony and moon-eyed over this pic of a 30 year old woman. I’m not saying that’s wrong but you still might get some looks (Man, look it that geezer just drooling over that pic!)

16. moogro - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Amazing I spent so many years watching ball and hockey through the equivalent of 2 screens doors, and often in black and white.

17. miketreedy - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Craig, based on all the other BS you have posted on this blog over the years, especially your political rhetoric, I have always thought you were an idiot. Thanks for confirming this.

18. illuminancer - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:19 PM

I think you’re ethically okay here, Craig. Certainly more so than me, who spends an inordinate amount of time objectifying young men who could easily be my kids.

19. hateonlyhatred - Apr 25, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Thankfully, you’re now divorced so you don’t have to look at your ex-wife’s picture when she was 17 anymore? You are a strange, strange dude, man. Perhaps you should end your life before you age so you don’t have to see pictures of yourself as a young stud…………….eh, never mind, that doesn’t apply to you. Sorry. Greg Maddux really loves to pitch though, maybe that’s why you feel strange watching him pitch at such a young age. Seek help.

20. lawburgtn - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Uh…what??? There is nothing sick or weird about a 35yo looking at a picture of his wife when she was 17 because HE was 17 when the picture was taken and you are recalling fond memories.

It would only be creepy if you looked at the pic and wish, at 35, you could have another 17yo, now. If that’s the case, you need professional help!

Now, going from seeing a video of a young Greg Maddox to thinking of an old pic of your wife when she was 17, that is strange, very strange!

• harleydad - Apr 26, 2014 at 5:48 AM

I must agree. The correlation between a video if Greg Maddux pitching at 19 and a picture of your wife taken 18 years prior has me confused. I saw a commercial the other day and it had old video clips of Jack Nicklaus winning the Masters over the years. It did not disturb me, nor did it cause me to think of my girlfriend when I was in high school. Craig seems to be the poster child for mental health issues. (Change that to poster person, as the word child might have him remember his first grade crush).

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3207)