Mookie Wilson: “I have basically become a hood ornament for the Mets”

Apr 25, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT

Mookie Wilson

This makes me a little sad. Mookie Wilson has a book coming out and in it he slams the Mets for the way they handled his removal as the team’s first base coach and his shift into being a roving instructor/team ambassador. From the New York Post:

It’s sad to admit this, but I have basically become a hood ornament for the Mets,” Wilson writes in “Mookie: Life, Baseball and the ’86 Mets” (Penguin Group USA). “I have no decision-making role at all in my job description. I would have liked an explanation as to why I was moved from first base coach to the ambassadorship, but none was ever given.

Wilson notes that jobs in baseball are temporary at best, but he doesn’t like that he was never given an explanation for the move. Of course, he still works for the team. Which either means that his feelings of being taken for granted aren’t so bad. Or it could mean that Wilson is kind of hard up and has no choice but to accept the $40,000 a year job the Mets have given him.

No matter what the explanation, it suggests an unfortunate set of circumstances.

1. nottinghamforest13 - Apr 25, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Uncle Mookie’s Cabin.

• mkd - Apr 25, 2014 at 9:37 AM

I’m looking forward to your inevitable banning.

• El Bravo - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:39 AM

That’s trying to sound racist and pretty much failing. That takes a special kind of idiot to fail at that.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:13 PM

What mkd said. And even better…what Bravo said.
      You aren’t even good at it. You suck.
      I mean…really. Dude, you aren’t even close to being good at it.
      Which (for us)…makes you the punchline.

2. chip56 - Apr 25, 2014 at 9:16 AM

See, I don’t know if that’s actually a conversation you want to have with your employers because the response may well be “We love you Mookie and think you’re a great spokesman for the team and the fans really go gaga over you, but you don’t have enough baseball acumen to actually fill an every day role in the front office. If you would like us to find some sort of role for you in Port St. Lucie working with the minor leaguers we can look into that…”

3. georgewashingtonsghost - Apr 25, 2014 at 9:24 AM

I’m not sure how much longer he’s going to have that $40k a year job once that book comes out. When you’re being paid to serve as an ambassador, I imagine speaking out against your employer is generally frowned upon.

4. chargrz - Apr 25, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Maybe he was doing a lousy job as 1st base coach and the Mets tried to be nice and just moved him to instructor? Sounds like another malcontent. Hit the Road Mookie!

• kevinbnyc - Apr 25, 2014 at 1:21 PM

How hard is it to be a first base coach? Yell at a guy to head back to the bag if a pitcher is throwing over? Pretty sure I could do that.

5. hoopmatch - Apr 25, 2014 at 9:53 AM

No offense meant to Mr. Wilson, but would he be anywhere near as famous as he is if he was known as William Wilson and didn’t have the cool nickname? His “hood ornament” status might have more to do with his nickname and association with the ’86 Mets than anything else.

• tedwmoore - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Mookie got the hit. People remember Bill Buckner — a William! — despite his best efforts, I think Mookie might have been remembered without he nickname.

6. jeffbbf - Apr 25, 2014 at 9:58 AM

What decision-making role does a 1st base coach have?

7. gothapotamus90210 - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:21 AM

I’ve never understood why Mookie married Preston’s mother. Preston’s biological father is Mookie’s brother. Must make for interesting Thanksgiving dinners.

• chalkruz1989 - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Learn something new everyday, I had no idea!

• ejheim62 - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:56 AM

the family that plays together, stays together….!

8. 18thstreet - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:40 AM

The Mets have been model organization for years. Anyone who criticizes the franchise is obviously a malcontent. I’m sure he has no legitimate complaints whatsoever.

• fissels - Apr 25, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Yes, this organization has been absolutely flawless in every way.

9. xdj511 - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Is there an ’86 Met who hasn’t written a tell-all book yet? I’ve seen books by Doc, Straw, Carter, Hernandez, Dykstra (chuckle), and now Mookie. To be fair I think Hernandez’s book was actually based on the ’85 season, but who’s next? Ed Hearn?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Surely you recall the Letterman sketch about Ed :)

• bostonfrogs - Apr 26, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Until Ron Darling has his say, the story of the 1986 Mets has yet to be fully told.

10. stagedoorjohnny - Apr 25, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Over 8 million bucks for 11 years and you think you’re a ‘hood oranament’.
    How far have we come?

11. 6stn - Apr 25, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Self-pity. He’s drowning in a Kranepool of tears.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS