Apr 25, 2014, 9:11 AM EST
This makes me a little sad. Mookie Wilson has a book coming out and in it he slams the Mets for the way they handled his removal as the team’s first base coach and his shift into being a roving instructor/team ambassador. From the New York Post:
It’s sad to admit this, but I have basically become a hood ornament for the Mets,” Wilson writes in “Mookie: Life, Baseball and the ’86 Mets” (Penguin Group USA). “I have no decision-making role at all in my job description. I would have liked an explanation as to why I was moved from first base coach to the ambassadorship, but none was ever given.
Wilson notes that jobs in baseball are temporary at best, but he doesn’t like that he was never given an explanation for the move. Of course, he still works for the team. Which either means that his feelings of being taken for granted aren’t so bad. Or it could mean that Wilson is kind of hard up and has no choice but to accept the $40,000 a year job the Mets have given him.
No matter what the explanation, it suggests an unfortunate set of circumstances.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)